Cheese chive bread rolls that are low carb and gluten free, yet taste and look like the real thing. A healthy addition to the dinner table.
I wanted to make a low carb bread roll that was savoury and you could have with dinner, not just soup so had a play around with my coconut flour bread roll recipe. This resulted in a deliciously firm, not too moist, looks like low carb bread roll. The balance of cheese and herbs is spot on.
The smell of these cheese chive bread rolls baking is divine. I wish I could share the smell on this post! When I took them out of the oven, the smell of the baked cheese was so good. I cursed myself at having to take photographs before I could sample them. I recommend these fresh and warm from the oven though as I tucked into a warm one as soon as I put the camera down. (It may have a few dents as I threw it on the table to get to the bread rolls!).
This cheese chive low carb bread roll recipe had me so excited as they were just perfect. Only 4g net carbs each, taste just right and look tempting. For the first time so far, I immediately thought to myself that I have to bake another batch so I can make a video of it to share. The recipe jumped to the top of the list to publish and it was a frantic day of getting the post ready.
Although I used chives in this low carb bread recipe, you could use any other herbs to hand, as long as they go well with cheese. Thyme or Rosemary instantly come to mind. For the cheese, stick with Cheddar but play around with another instead of the Parmesan cheese perhaps. I think that Mozzarella would work but would give the roll a softer texture.
As I had a surplus of rolls due to my baking frenzy, I can confirm that they freeze well! They make a delicious breakfast too. I had one roll, lightly toasted with a fried egg for breakfast the next day. These rolls are very filling due to the fibre content too. I happily munched through 2 when baking and that was pretty much that for me.
WATCH THE VIDEO
- 1/2 cup (56g) Coconut flour
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tablespoons Butter, unsalted melted
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Psyllium husk powder
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Boiling water
- 1/2 cup (56g) Cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup (25g) Parmesan cheese grated
- 2-3 tablespoons Chives chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Place the coconut flour, baking powder, psyllium husk powder and salt in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the butter and eggs and blend well until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Gently add the water, a bit at time and stir into the mixture (you may not need it all).
- Add the Cheddar, Parmesan and chives and gently mix through.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using your hands, make a ball of the dough (I find keeping my hands wet helps with the sticky dough).
- Place the balls on the parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Make for 30 minutes until golden and firm.
- Eat and enjoy!