I have been having a cookie baking spree with various nut butters much to the delight of the Chief Taster. These are number 2 on his list (the peanut butter ones win apparently). I’ve found that you can make a delicious gluten free cookie with nut butters and pecan nuts make a great cookie. With the addition of dried coconut the cookie is delightfully chewy too. It must be dried coconut as I tried this again with fresh coconut and it did not yield a decent cookie. I just love that these are so simple to make and tasty to eat too! Soft and chewy as a cookie should be! Feel free to play around with the flavourings too! Some orange rind would be tasty.
You can leave out the egg to make them vegan and they still yield a nice moist cookie.
2 cups desiccated coconut
1 cup pecan nuts
1 cup erthyritol (or sugar substitute of your choice)
1 egg, beaten (can leave out to make vegan cookies)
1 tspn vanilla
1 tspn cinnamon
1/2 tspn baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Place the pecan nuts in a food processor and blitz until smooth. You may need to occasionally scrape the sides whilst doing this.
- Add the coconut and blitz until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth.
- Take a tablespoon amount of the mixture in your hands and press into cookie shapes.
- Place onto a greaseproof lined baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
Makes 8-10 cookies
Nutrition: Per Cookie: 217 Calories; 21g Fat; 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carb