These chocolate chip cream cheese cookies are a delicious low carb and gluten free cookie that are quick and easy to make. They have a texture that is almost like shortbread and are utterly addictive.
I have a popular cream cheese cookie recipe made with coconut flour, but these ones use almond flour. I found the dough to be less sticky than the coconut flour to handle with less firming time in the fridge required. We have declared these my best low carb cookies to date and enjoyed them so much that another batch was made that week. Purely for research purposes of course.
When baked, these cookies are warm and soft with the chocolate chips slightly melted. Pure cookie comfort food in a bite. The next day the cookies firm up slightly and have more of a crunch to them. Either way they are a tasty cookie.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE COOKIES
You need to make sure that the cream cheese is soft to make the cookie dough. The softer the ingredients, the easier it is to make the cookie dough. I made the mixture by hand, beating the ingredients in a bowl with a spoon but you could just as easily make this recipe with a food processor.
If the dough seems too soft to make into cookie shapes, place the dough in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
When making the cookie shapes, damp hands are best when handling the dough. It can get a bit sticky but the damp hands help.
The cookie mixture does not spread much so you need to press down the mixture with a spoon or a hand. I make balls of the cookie dough, place them on the baking tray and then press them done to make their shape.
Almond Flour Cookies
If you want an alternative to coconut flour and are out of cream cheese you can still enjoy a batch of keto chocolate chip cookies. Almond flour with butter, sweetener and a dash of cream yield tasty cookies too.
HOW TO STORE CREAM CHEESE COOKIES
Once cool, store the cream cheese cookies in a Tupperware container in the fridge. They will harden overnight to become a crunchier cookie. If you have more self-restraint than us, they should keep for about 3-4 days. Ours didn’t make it past day 2.
OTHER COOKIES TO TRY
Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup erythritol
- 2 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips unsweetened (high cocoa solids)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Line a couple of baking trays with parchment paper. (I used two large trays to cook the whole batch)
- In a bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese and erythritol (or sugar substitute of choice).
- Add the vanilla extra and egg. Beat until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder and salt and beat until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- With damp hands, make walnut sized balls from the dough.
- Place the cookie balls on the tray, evenly placed.
- Either using your hand or a large spoon, press down on the cookies to shape them.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden around the edges
- Gently remove from the oven and allow to cool. When warm, the cookies are more delicate when cooled.
- Store in the fridge.