These low carb turkey calzones make a great meal with left over roasted turkey and are a gluten free calzone too.
I made these calzones with a Fathead dough as I already have a low carb calzone recipe using a low carb pastry. Since we often enjoy a low carb pizza made with Fathead dough, it was time to make a calzone with it. After all, a calzone is basically a stuffed pizza!
Leftover roasted turkey with a low carb Marinara sauce and cheese make this a delicious filling for a calzone. The Marinara sauce and the cheese give another lease of life to any dry turkey too!
KETO FATHEAD CALZONE
You could make these low carb turkey calzones smaller and serve them as appetisers or a snack. I kept mine a medium size and used a small saucepan lid to make the calzone circles. The Chief Taster was in immediate complaint with the size as a calzone he used to enjoy many years ago was the size of large dinner plate. If this recipe for a giant calzone, but you’ll need to share it!
Although I used left over roasted turkey you could use rotisserie chicken or ham for the calzone filling. Think of a calzone as being a delicious way to enjoy your left over meat! Change the cheese too. Slices of Brie or a strong Cheddar would make a great filling with the turkey.
HOW TO MAKE FATHEAD DOUGH
It’s so simple to make Fathead dough that you will reach out to make it weekly! Grated mozzarella and cream cheese are melted in a microwave, then an egg and low carb flour is added. Either almond flour or coconut flour will work but the quantities will vary for both flours. I use about ¼ cup of coconut flour or ½ cup almond flour.
Mix the dough quickly together and add additional low carb flour if the mixture is too sticky. The dough needs to be rolled out in between two layers of parchment paper. You can use the dough for a pizza base or a calzone.
OTHER FATHEAD DOUGH RECIPES TO TRY:
- 1 ½ cups Mozzarella cheese grated
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 medium egg
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups roasted turkey cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons Marinara sauce low carb
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 oz Mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 egg wash for brushing calzones
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F degrees.
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl. Either zap in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and zap for another 30 seconds. If the mixture has not melted give it another blast in the microwave.
- If you don’t have a microwave, place the bowl over a saucepan of boiling water and stir until melted.
- Once the cheese has melted, add the egg, baking powder and almond flour.
- Stir until you have a dough mixture. Don’t be shy about using your hands to mix the dough. If it feels too sticky, add more almond flour.
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces and place a quarter of the dough onto a piece of parchment paper, then lay another piece of parchment paper on top.
- Roll out the dough into a circular shape. Remove the top baking paper and cut out a circular shape. I use a small saucepan lid. Repeat for all dough pieces.
- Mix the turkey with the Marinara sauce.
- Spoon the turkey mixture onto half of the circular dough.
- Scatter the Parmesan cheese on top of the turkey, then the Mozzarella.
- Gently fold the other half of the calzone dough over the filling and press the edges together so that they are sealed.
- Place the calzones on a parchment paper lined baking tray and brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden
- Eat and enjoy!