A keto spinach Stromboli uses the classic flavours of spinach and Feta cheese. At just 2g net carbs a slice it’s a delicious low carb dish and is also gluten free.
I’ve made a Stromboli recipe using a low carb dough with coconut flour and psyllium husk powder which we enjoyed but this time I thought I would make a Stromboli recipe using Fathead dough. Since I’ve made pizza with Fathead dough it was a safe bet it would work for a Stromboli.
I wanted the filling to be something we could both share, so spinach won! After enjoying this keto spinach Stromboli I noted that I must treat the Chief Taster and bake him a chicken Stromboli as this was just so good. I shall treat him with chicken!
A great thing about a keto Stromboli is that it is a great dish for a gathering as it can happily be shared. The thickness of the slices depends upon how many people you are serving it to!
WHAT IS A STROMBOLI?
A Stromboli is turnover usually stuffed with meat and cheese baked with pizza dough. The best explanation I found was that a Stromboli is an outside-in sandwich and can look like a filled loaf of bread! It is baked as a log shape and once it is baked, it is sliced into pieces. You could serve it with a sauce to dip the pieces in which makes it a great dish for parties and gatherings.
Fillings for a Stromboli can be pepperoni, spinach, mushrooms, sausage, artichokes, ham, chicken, cheese. All your favourite pizza toppings, basically!
HOW TO MAKE A KETO SPINACH STROMBOLI
Although a Stromboli is traditionally rolled, I didn’t think that it would work with the spinach. I folded the Fathead dough over the filling and made the log shape for baking. Check that the edges are sealed before baking. I scored the top of the spinach Stromboli purely for decorative purposes. It’s not normally how a Stromboli is served but I wanted a little flourish to it.
OTHER LOW CARB "DOUGH" RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Keto Spinach Stromboli
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese grated
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup spinach cooked
- ½ cup Feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 spring onions chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten to wash the pastry
- In a bowl add the mozzarella and cream cheese. Melt in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add the beaten egg, baking powder and coconut flour and mix into a dough, making sure all ingredients are combined well.
- In a bowl, mix the spinach, nutmeg, spring onions, Feta cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Season with the salt and black pepper.
- Lay the dough on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Place another sheet on top and roll out into a large rectangle, about 5 mm thick.
- Spread the spinach mixture on the dough in the middle, leaving an edge to roll around the filling
- Using the parchment paper, bring the edges of the rectangle dough up a side at a time, ensuring that they overlap and seal the dough into one long log.
- Using a sharp knife, score the top with a criss cross pattern (optional)
- Brush the beaten egg over the top of the Stromboli
- Place on a baking tray and bake at 190C/385F for 25 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven, slice and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.