Flaxseed psyllium husk bread rolls that are easy to make and look like proper bread too! High in fibre, low in carbs and gluten free they are a great healthy bread roll.
Are you following a low carb or gluten free lifestyle (I refuse to use the word diet) and missing bread? Need a bread roll for your keto and paleo lunch plan? Behold the flaxseed bread roll with just 2g net carbs each!
After dropping the husband off at the airport this week, my mind wandered to what I could bake that I enjoy and he wouldn't. I love flaxseed bread which he is not as keen on so thought I would try this in roll form and add psyllium husk powder to make it a bit more "bread-like". I was so delighted with the results that I shared it immediately on Facebook and the response made me push this recipe at the top of the list to publish.
Keto Bread Rolls
Since the rolls contain psyllium husk powder and flaxseed they are very high in fibre and filling. I munched two for lunch and they kept for going for hours. I used golden flaxseed flour but you could use the darker one if you wish. I am just so excited about this recipe that I've already got a list of variations and flavours to try out so watch this space for more healthy bread!
Below are a couple I had for lunch with avocado, tomato and lettuce with a slathering of mayonnaise. Very tasty and filling.
OTHER LOW CARB BREAD ROLLS TO BAKE:
Low Carb Flaxseed & Psyllium Bread Rolls
- 2 cups ground golden flaxseed
- 5 egg whites
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pysllium husk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Place the flaxseed, baking powder, salt and psyllium husk powder in a bowl and whisk the ingredients together.
- Add the egg whites and egg yolk and whisk well.
- Add the oil and apple cider vinegar and whisk until the mixture is combined.
- Pour the boiling water into the mixture and whisk to combine. The mixture will be slightly sticky.
- Using wet hands, roll the dough into 6 balls and place on a parchment lined baking tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Products from Amazon.com