These keto flaxseed bread rolls with psyllium husk powder are easy to make and look like proper bread too! High in fibre, low in carbs and gluten free they are a great healthy bread roll.
Are you following a low carb or gluten free lifestyle (I refuse to use the word diet) and missing bread? Need a bread roll for your keto and paleo lunch plan? Behold these flaxseed bread roll with just 2g net carbs each!
After dropping the husband off at the airport this week, my mind wandered to what I could bake that I enjoy and he wouldn't. I love flaxseed bread which he is not as keen on so thought I would try this in roll form and add psyllium husk powder to make it a bit more "bread-like". I was so delighted with the results that I shared it immediately on Facebook and the response made me push this recipe at the top of the list to publish.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Keto Dinner Rolls
This keto flaxseed bread recipe makes for great dinner rolls. They are great split and served with a filling or serve with a side of soup. Serve warm with a pat of butter.
Carbs in Flaxseed
Flaxseeds are low in carbohydrates. Here is the approximate carbohydrate content in flaxseeds:
Whole flaxseeds: About 7-8 grams of carbohydrates per 2 tablespoons (20 grams).
Ground flaxseeds (flaxseed meal): About 4-5 grams of carbohydrates per 2 tablespoons (13 grams).
The majority of the carbohydrates in flaxseeds come from dietary fiber, which can be beneficial for digestive health and may help control blood sugar levels.
Carbs in a bread roll
The carbohydrate content in a bread roll can vary depending on the size, type of bread, and the recipe used to make it. On average, a typical white bread roll (about 1 ounce or 28 grams) contains approximately 15-20 grams of carbohydrates.
A great contrast to this recipe which has just 2 grams net carbs per bun.
Just a few low carb ingredients make these keto buns.
- Ground flaxseed - you can grind your own or purchase it from stores.
- Eggs - we use a mixture of egg whites and yolk for a light bread.
- Psyllium husk powder - helps to bind the bread rolls in absence of gluten.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - use organic with the "mother". Check the labels.
- Olive oil - coconut oil could be substituted.
How to make keto flaxseed bread rolls
This is an easy keto flaxseed recipe to make.
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
Add the eggs and wet ingredients.
Form into bread rolls and bake.
Enjoy warm or cold.
Keep the flaxseed rolls in the fridge in an air tight container. They should last up to 4 days. They can be frozen. Store them in a zip lock bag or sealed container and they will last for up to 3 months in the freezer. Defrost in the fridge.
Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes for it to form.
Use wet hands to shape the flaxseed buns.
Add other flavors such as onion powder or dried herbs for additional flavor.
OTHER LOW CARB BREAD ROLLS TO BAKE:
Low Carb Flaxseed & Psyllium Bread Rolls
- 2 cups ground golden flaxseed
- 5 egg whites
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pysllium husk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Place the flaxseed, baking powder, salt and psyllium husk powder in a bowl and whisk the ingredients together.
- Add the egg whites and egg yolk and whisk well.
- Add the oil and apple cider vinegar and whisk until the mixture is combined.
- Pour the boiling water into the mixture and whisk to combine. The mixture will be slightly sticky.
- Using wet hands, roll the dough into 6 balls and place on a parchment lined baking tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.