This quick keto hemp seed oatmeal is ready in 5 minutes. Hemp seed hearts give this low carb oatmeal a thick texture to replace the oats for a hearty low carb & gluten free breakfast.
If you miss your oatmeal whilst following a low carb diet, this hemp seed porridge with help you through those cold mornings. Oatmeal is not keto friendly as it is a grain, but hemp seed hearts are a great alternative. Hemp hearts, chia seeds and flaxseeds make this a thick hearty cereal with only 5.5g net carbs a bowl.
Also known as “NoOatmeal” this creamy hot breakfast is also grain free, vegan, dairy free and gluten. The high fibre content means it will keep you going all morning too. I just love how it keeps me full all day. It's now a weekly breakfast for me. The Chief Taster has yet to enjoy a bowl as I made the mistake of telling him that flaxseed was in it. Rookie mistake! Next time, I'll give it a fancy title and get him to sample it before I tell him what's in it!
What are Hemp Hearts?
The texture of this low carb oatmeal is mainly due to the use of hemp seed hearts. Hemp hearts are the edible interior of hemp seeds and are a great source of protein. It is a complete protein and provides all the essential amino acids, making it an excellent choice for a keto vegetarian diet. They have a mild nutty flavour and are also great sprinkled on a salad.
I purchase mine from a health food store but just found a cheaper bag in a specialist food store we have on the island. Head to the nuts and seeds section of a store and they should be there.
Are Hemp Seeds Keto?
Hemp seeds are a great addition to a keto diet as they have a good balance of fat and protein and due to their high fibre content are a great low carb ingredient. It’s a powerhouse of a superfood too!
- Premix the dry ingredients and store in container to have a breakfast mix ready to go. Just add the milk in the mornings and heat.
- Add cinnamon or a dash of nutmeg for a warmed spiced bowl of breakfast.
- Add sugar free maple syrup or pancake topping for a sweet topping.
- Serve with a sprinkling of berries or nuts for extra crunch and flavour.
- Any nut milk or coconut milk can be used.
Other Low Carb Breakfasts to Enjoy
Keto Hemp Seed Oatmeal
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan on a medium heat and stir until the mixture is blended.
- Gently heat for 3-5 minutes.
- If the mixture is too stiff add a dash of almond milk.
- Serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information