A breakfast muffin baked with flaxseed and almond flour is a healthy start to the day. Flavoured with cinnamon and nutmeg they are packed full of flavour too.
If you want to start your day eating cake, they enjoy a breakfast muffin. These flaxseed muffins are a great way to include flaxseed into your day too. The Chief Taster is not a great lover of flax but still requests these breakfast muffins as an alternative to eggs for breakfast. I think it's the cinnamon and spicy taste though.
The texture of these flaxseed muffins are almost wholemeal but with a nice spicy flavour of cinnamon and nutmeg. I use a lot of spice in this recipe, but feel free to change it to your own taste. Yes, that is a tablespoon of cinnamon. It's not a typo!
I like to add chopped nuts to these breakfast muffins too. The last batch I baked had chopped pecans and were delicious. Walnuts would be great too. Or perhaps a mix of nuts?
Other Flaxseed Recipe You May Enjoy
Breakfast Flaxseed Muffins
- 2 tablespoons Butter, unsalted melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350F degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients together well.
- Add beaten eggs and melted butter to the dry mixture and mix well. If the mixture is a bit thick, add about 1/4 cup water.
- Fill muffin cases just over half way with the batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Cool in the pan for a few minutes, then remove.
- Mix the additional cinnamon and melted butter then dip the tops of the muffin in this mixture (optional)
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
This recipe was originally published in 2011. I’ve updated the photos but the recipe is unchanged.