A batch of flaxseed pumpkin muffins make a healthy breakfast or a snack on the go. Low carb and gluten free these are a great way to start the day.
I had a large batch of pumpkin puree and thought I’d bake some muffins with it. Although I already have a pumpkin and coconut flour muffin recipe I thought I’d try something with ground flaxseed for lower carbs. These muffins are very moist and remind me slightly of a carrot cake. I served mine with a vanilla cream cheese topping but that is optional.
The muffins did not rise as much as I had hoped but they were still delicious and the flat top was easier to spread the topping! If I made this again, I might try using baking soda instead of baking powder to see if a change in raising agent would make a difference. The Chief Taster enjoyed them and did not complain about the flaxseed (which makes a change). He did find them a bit “moist” so you might want to bake them an additional 10 minutes if you want a more firmer inside to your muffin.
If you don’t have all the spices you could use a ready mixed pumpkin spice as that is much the same.
- 1 Cup Ground Flaxseed
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin puree
- 1/2 Cup Erythritol
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Butter melted
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon All spice
- 1 teaspoon Ginger ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Cloves ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 oz Cream cheese softened
- 1 oz Butter softened
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons Erythritol ground
MAKE THE MUFFINS
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Grease a muffin tin (it makes 9 muffins) or use muffin cases.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the butter, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla and stir until combine thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the tops are firm.
- Blend all of the topping ingredients together until smooth (I use a hand blender but a fork and elbow power is good too!).
- When the muffins are cool, spread the topping over them.
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $5.81
- Price: $5.19Was: $7.81
- Price: $3.99Was: $4.47