A batch of flaxseed pumpkin muffins make a healthy breakfast or a snack on the go. Low carb and gluten free these are a great way to start the day.
These delicious muffins are only 2g net carbs each because of the high fibre content of flaxseed. The pumpkin puree helps with the sweetness without adding sugar to the muffins and also keeps the muffins moist. Enjoy these muffins for breakfast or a treat on the go.
HOW TO MAKE FLAXSEED PUMPKIN MUFFINS
These healthy pumpkin muffins are made with ground flaxseed. I’ve used both golden flaxseed and pure flaxseed meal for different colours. Flaxseed can yield a moist but hearty muffin which taste almost like a wholemeal wheat muffin. These muffins are very moist and remind me slightly of a carrot cake.
Low sugar pumpkin puree is added to the flax seed flour with a range of spices and a low carb sweetener. I use erythritol for the sweeter but a monk fruit blend works just as well.
Due to the density of the flax seed these healthy flaxseed pumpkin muffins will not raise as high as muffins baked with almond flour or coconut flour. The mixture can happily hold the addition of chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts without the nuts sinking to the bottom of the muffin.
HEALTHY FLAX MUFFINS
The Chief Taster enjoyed them and did not complain about the flax seed (which makes a change). He did find them a bit “moist” so you might want to bake them an additional 10 minutes if you want a more firmer inside to your muffin.
I mix my muffins up with a scatter of pumpkin seeds on the top of some and a cream cheese topping over others. Both are delicious.
If you don’t have all the spices you could use a ready mixed pumpkin spice as that is much the same.
OTHER MUFFINS TO BAKE:
Flaxseed Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 Cup Ground Flaxseed
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin puree
- 1/2 Cup Erythritol
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Butter melted
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon All spice
- 1 teaspoon Ginger ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Cloves ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 oz Cream cheese softened
- 1 oz Butter softened
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons Erythritol ground
MAKE THE MUFFINS
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Grease a muffin tin (it makes 9 muffins) or use muffin cases.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the butter, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla and stir until combine thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the tops are firm.
- Blend all of the topping ingredients together until smooth (I use a hand blender but a fork and elbow power is good too!).
- When the muffins are cool, spread the topping over them.
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon