Healthy chocolate flaxseed pancakes that are flavoured with warm spices and cocoa powder. High in fibre and very filling. These pancakes not only set you up for the day they are delicious too.
Whilst most of us know how healthy flaxseed is for you, many of us are not too keen on the flavour. For some, it can have a slimy taste. The Chief Taste will normally recoil in horror if I tell him that there is flaxseed in a dish leading to a “lively debate” on why I have used it. If he is tasting something that he does not normally recognise he will yell “flaxseed!” and run from the kitchen table to gargle with mouthwash. Even when there is no flaxseed in the dish. Such is his suspicion of this nutritional powerhouse.
I often enjoy flaxseed pancakes but wondered how I could make them more appetising to those of you who side with the Chief Taster’s horror of the seed. Simple. Add the flavours of chocolate along with warm spices. They could almost hide anything! Slather some cream on top and voila! A delicious breakfast.
In place of the cinnamon and nutmeg flavour combination you may want to try ginger too. Add the spice flavours that you enjoy with chocolate. It serves as a great cover from the flaxseed flavour. Although I added a couple of teaspoons of heavy cream to the pancake mixture you could either replace this with coconut milk or omit it. I used it to get a creamy thick pancake batter. The mixture will thicken up if you let it sit for at least 30 minutes too. Add more water if it becomes too thick and starts to resemble a dough rather than a batter.
So, if you have that half bag of flaxseed sitting in your pantry and are wondering what to do with it. Try these chocolate flaxseed pancakes. You might start to come around to enjoy flaxseed!
- ¼ cup (42g) ground flaxseed (golden if possible)
- 1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons erythritol
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cream (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons coconut/olive oil
- Mix the ground flaxseed, cocoa powder, erythritol, baking powder, salt and spices together in a bowl.
- Add the eggs and cream and stir well. Coconut milk can be substituted for the cream.
- Add the water and ensure the batter is smooth and combined well.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Take a large spoonful of the mixture and gently spoon it into the frying pan, spreading it out in an even circle.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until one side is firm. Bubbles should appear in the mixture.
- Flip over and cook for another couple of minutes until the pancake is firm.
- Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Makes 4 medium sized pancakes.
- Nutritional info per pancake: 182 Calories, 17g Fat, 5g Protein, 5.3g Total Carbs, 4g Fibre, 1.3g Net Carbs
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes and never miss a recipe! You get a free low carb & gluten free Bread & Baking eCookbook too.
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun! https://www.facebook.com/DivaliciousRecipes