Keto fried zucchini ravioli is a healthy replacement for stuffed pasta with ribbons of zucchini stuffed with cheese, coated in almond flour and gently fried. Serve with a sauce for a low carb and gluten free appetiser.
This keto ravioli may seem a fit fiddly but it’s easy and rather fun to make too. You could make this dish ahead by creating the zucchini parcels, then when you are ready to eat, dip them in the almond flour coating and fry.
Since I have been enjoying the zucchini lasagna roll ups as great replacement for pasta, I wanted to try a ravioli version. There is a beach restaurant here that serves a huge fried zucchini ravioli but it has a breadcrumb coating and is deep fried so I wanted to make a low carb version of it. Simply, replacing the breadcrumbs with almond flour and shallow frying the zucchini ravioli worked.
The first batch I made never saw the Chief Taster’s plate. I ate one, enjoyed it. Then repeated. The mists of food joy fell and before I knew it the plate was empty. I’ve made them a few more times, playing around with the different filling options so he finally enjoyed them too.
The size of the low carb ravioli will depend upon the size of your zucchini. The ones I made for the photos were a medium size so were suitable for an appetiser or a light lunch. Large zucchini will yield wider strips and give you a larger zucchini parcel to fill, so adjust the filling quantities as required.
How To Make Low Carb Ravioli
Thin strips of zucchini are needed to make the ravioli parcels and can be made with either a vegetable peeler or mandoline. When you peel the zucchini into strips lengthways you will find that one you hit the seeds it’s harder to make a strip and are left with some of the zucchini. What I do is grate the left over zucchini and grate it. I then use the grated zucchini for fritters.
The zucchini strips need to be dry so when they are fried, they don’t release water and fall apart. After salting them, I sometimes let them sit on paper towels for over 30 minutes to dry them out in the natural heat I have.
I pan fry the zucchini in olive oil but these would be great in an air fryer. If I had an air fryer I would be making these every week.
You could always make this a baked zucchini ravioli recipe without the crispy coating. I bake them in a marinara sauce.
Low Carb Ravioli Fillings
A great bonus about this keto zucchini ravioli is that is very versatile with the fillings. I used mozzarella for this recipe, but you can used many other options. A few suggestions are:
- Cream cheese
- Cooked chicken or beef
- Spinach and ricotta
- Cooked chopped mushrooms
- Ricotta & Parmesan cheese
- Any mix of medium firm cheeses
- Chopped ham and cheese
How to Serve Fried Zucchini Ravioli
I like to serve my zucchini ravioli with marinara sauce,but you could happily serve them by themselves. Perhaps a low carb cheese sauce or a few spoonfuls of tomato mascarpone sauce. The sauce will depend upon the filling so some kitchen experimentation is on the cards!
OTHER LOW CARB PASTA SUBSTITUTE RECIPES
Keto Fried Zucchini Ravioli
- 3 zucchini medium but large will work too
- 2 basil, fresh chopped
- 1 sun-dried tomato cut into small pieces
- 1 cup Mozzarella cut into pieces,
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup olive oil for frying
- Peel the zucchini lengthways with a vegetable peeler or a mandoline.
- Place the strips on paper towel and lightly salt to release excess water. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Lightly pat the zucchini strips with paper towel to remove moisture.
- Taking two zucchini strips arrange them in a cross shape.
- Place the mozzarella in the centre, trimming off any edges to ensure it fits.
- Scatter the chopped basil and sundried tomatoes over the mozzarella.
- Season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Wrap the zucchini into a parcel with one strip at a time. Work round clockwise with the strips so that the mozzarella is covered neatly with them.
- Dip the mozzarella parcels into the beaten egg, then into the almond flour. Double dip if need be to get a decent coating.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the zucchini raviolini for 3 minutes each side until golden.
- Serve with a sauce (marinara is delicious) and enjoy