This keto spinach cannelloni recipe uses small, thin omelettes instead of pasta tubes. A great low carb and gluten free main dish that is simple to make and full of flavour.
This is a simple but delicious recipe that I often reach to when I want a tasty and quick dish. Pasta is one of the things we used to eat a lot of before our low carb days and this is a great substitute. The filling here is spinach and cream cheese, but you could use fillings such as chicken, beef, other veggies...the choice is yours.
The amount of cannelloni "tubes" will depend upon the size of your eggs. My recent photographs and the video used medium sized eggs which resulted in 4 cannelloni.
How to make spinach cannelloni
The main ingredients for this recipe are:
- Spinach - fresh or frozen
- Cream cheese - this gives the filling a great creamy taste
- Parmesan - fresh or dry
- Eggs - I used 4 medium eggs
Thin omelettes are made then filled with the mixture. Rolled up into "tube" and baked with cheese on top. Easy and delicious!
If you use Parmesan cheese on top you will get a slight crunch to the top which echoes the traditional pasta tubes. I have used Mozzarella cheese in place of this and the topping was more soft, yet still delicious. Hey, it's smothered in cheese, what's not to like!
WATCH THE VIDEO
Other keto main dishes
Spinach Cannelloni - no pasta
- 2 cups Spinach cooked weight
- 4.5 oz Cream cheese
- 3/4 cup Parmesan grated
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 4 medium Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
- Cook the spinach until tender (if using fresh). Mix with the cream cheese, half the Parmesan cheese and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Whisk the eggs with the water and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and pour in 1/4 cup of the egg mixture. This will make a small, thin omelette. Cook until firm and turn over to cook the over side. Remove and place to the side. Continue to do this until all of egg mixture is used.
- Spoon some of the spinach mixture onto an edge of an omelette and roll up. Place in a shallow gratin dish and repeat using all the omelettes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese and bake for 25 minutes.