This hasselback chicken is stuffed with a mixture of spinach and ricotta and is a quick and easy low carb dinner meal to make.
We like to eat spinach often as well as enjoying the taste, it’s a great source of nutrients, vitamins and is low in carbs. As it was time to make a chicken dish for the Chief Taster I thought of putting spinach together with it.
I prefer an easy chicken dish which requires the minimum of work and this hasselback chicken recipe is just that! It’s simply as easy as slicing the chicken breast, stuffing the slits, baking it and setting it on a plate to be devoured. If the Chief Taster is reading this, get ready for a few variations of this recipe as it was so easy.
The chicken breast used is without bone and skin. Mainly because that’s how the Chief Taster prefers his chicken but also because it’s easier to cut and stuff. You could prepare this hasselback chicken recipe with the skin on, but you would need a very sharp knife to make the slits. To compensate for a lack of skin, I scattered grated cheese over the hasselback chicken. Swapping chicken skin with cheese seemed a fair deal to me.
The plumper the chicken breast, the better. It makes it easier to cut and stuff. We have limited sources of chicken so it’s a case of you settle for what the supermarket sells. However, the Chief Taster was happy with this chicken recipe so stuffing chicken breasts might be my future!
I used frozen spinach, defrosted because I could not get any fresh spinach that week. Either will work fine. Spinach goes so well with ricotta cheese and it’s a joy to bake with because the ricotta cheese holds its shape and does not ooze all over the baking tray.
I would have been temped to add a few cooked sliced mushrooms to this hasselback chicken recipe, but mushrooms are a no-go area for the Chief Taster. If you try it, let me know what you think.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Spinach Ricotta Hasselback Chicken
- 2 Chicken breast boneless/no skin
- 1 cup Spinach cooked
- ½ cup Ricotta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- 3 tablespoons Cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Using a sharp knife, make slits in the chicken breasts width-wise that are about ¾ inches apart, making sure not to cut all the way down through the bottom of the chicken breast.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl mix the spinach and ricotta cheese together.
- Season with nutmeg.
- Stuff the spinach mixture in the slits of the chicken, filling it with the volume you want (I tend to over stuff things)
- Sprinkle the grated Parmesan and Cheddar cheese over the stuffed chicken breasts (optional)
- Place each chicken breast onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a greased baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Eat and enjoy