An easy baked halloumi bake recipe that is a perfect summer dish. Slices of halloumi are baked in a zucchini tomato sauce with basil making it a hearty and simple dish.
This is a delicious halloumi recipe for a lunch with a side salad. You could also serve this as a side dish for a larger gathering or bring it to a potluck and watch it disappear!
I could never tire of this halloumi bake and each time I eat it I think about various tweaks I could make to it. It’s utterly delicious as it is, but I also think that adding a spicy flavour to the tomato sauce would work. I have a bottle of liquid smoke that would be great with this dish too. You could skip the zucchini and just have the halloumi baked in the tomato sauce to keep it even more simple.
Why is Halloumi So Expensive
Halloumi is more expensive than a block of Cheddar cheese because it is made from sheep’s milk, not cow’s milk. It is aged too which can increase the price. However, this solid cheese is worth it! Grill it, fry it, make cheese fries with it. Either way it is delicious with a slight salty taste. It is better cooked than raw in my opinion.
Halloumi is one of my favourite cheeses and although it is expensive on the island, it’s a must have treat. We use to call it “squeaky cheese” but that has now been replaced with “payday cheese”! It’s not always available to us either and I can only purchase it in one shop on the island. One day I saw a lady load up with all the remaining Halloumi cheese and my bottom lip quivered with my eyes welling up as I knew I would have to wait for the next shipment. Who knows how long that is. If you see me hanging around the docks, it’s me waiting for the next Halloumi delivery.
OTHER HALLOUMI RECIPES:
Halloumi Zucchini Bake
- 1 cup tomato sauce low carb
- 8 oz Halloumi cheese sliced
- 1 medium onion peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 1 zucchini cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup basil, fresh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan
- Add the garlic and onion and cook for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the zucchini slices and fry until they are golden and soft.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the saucepan, stir through the zucchini and onion mixture. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Spoon the sauce into a baking dish.
- Slice the halloumi and place the slices on top of the sauce
- Scatter the basil over the halloumi.
- Bake at 200C/400F degrees for 20 mins
- Brown until the grill for 3-5 minutes for a golden colour. (optional)