Zucchini and Halloumi cheese are blended together to make flavourful keto halloumi balls. A low carb and gluten free halloumi appetizer or main course dish.
These are utterly delicious and gorgeous! Gorgeous I tell you! They were much better than I had thought they would be and as ever, easy to make and easier to eat!
The fresh herbs really give the zucchini balls a great flavour and could be served simply by themselves. These can be made in the air fryer or fried in a pan. I now prefer the air fryer.
What is Halloumi Cheese?
If you have not have the pleasure of enjoying halloumi cheese you should look out for it in the stores! Halloumi is a firm cheese that originates from Cyprus and is normally made from sheep's or goat's milk.
Halloumi cheese is perfect for grilling and it keeps it's shape. The taste is slightly salty with a mild flavour. We call it "squeaky cheese" for the texture it makes against your teeth (but in a good way!).
Is Halloumi Keto Friendly?
Initially, you may think that cheese is very low carb but not all cheeses have zero carbohydrates. Some have 2g net carbs a serving but Halloumi cheese is a happy zero carbs making it a great keto ingredient.
The main ingredients to make these keto halloumi balls is zucchini, halloumi, coconut flour and egg to bind with fresh seasonings.
I use coconut flour to help bind the balls because it acts like a piece of kitchen roll and soaks up any moisture, but another low carb flour such as almond flour could be used instead.
You could also use this mixture to make keto halloumi fritters by forming the mixture into a patty shape instead. I do have a vegetarian halloumi burger but that has different flavours.
How to make keto zucchini balls
This is an easy recipe that we used to pan fry but now are making them in our air fryer. They take just 10 minutes in the air fryer which is great for a quick appetizer or snack.
- Grate the zucchini. A medium zucchini should give you 10oz.
- Place the grated zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with salt to remove the excess water. Sit for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out the water in either a nut bag or cheesecloth.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl until you have a pliable mixture. Add more coconut flour if required.
- Scoop into balls.
- Place in the air fryer and cook for 10 minutes. Or you can shallow fry them in a large skillet.
How To Serve Keto Zucchini Halloumi Balls
When squeezing the water out of the zucchini, make sure you get every drop out. If the zucchini is too wet, the balls may fall apart.
Try other seasonings. Cumin and coriander would give the balls a more Middle Eastern flavour.
These zucchini halloumi balls can be made ahead before air frying or pan frying and stored in the fridge in an air tight container.
If you have any cooked zucchini balls leftover, store them in the refrigerator in an air tight container. They will last up to 4 days (not in our house!) and can be enjoyed cold or reheated.
OTHER "MEATBALLS" RECIPES TO TRY:
This recipe was originally posted in July 2016. The photos and content have been updated but the recipe remains the same, apart from adding air frying the halloumi balls.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Zucchini Halloumi Balls
- 10 oz Zucchini (about 1 medium) grated
- ¼ Onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 oz Halloumi cheese grated
- 1 large Egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons Mint finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thyme finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lemon grated rind
- 3 tablespoons Coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- Grate the zucchini and place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out all of the water from the grated zucchini and place in a bowl.
- Add the herbs, halloumi, garlic, egg and lemon zest and mix well. Season to taste.
- Add the coconut flour and if the mixture is not firm enough, add some more!
- Either using a cookie scoop or your wet hands, roll the mixture into small balls.
To Air Fry
- Preheat the air fryer according to the manufacturer's instructions
- Place the zucchini halloumi balls in the air fryer basket and lightly spray with cooking oil.
- Cook at 200C/400F degrees for 10 minutes until golden.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Fry the balls for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep turning them until golden brown on all sides.