Zucchini and Halloumi cheese are blended together to make little balls of deliciousness. A low carb and gluten free main course menu that sits well in a marinara sauce.
These are utterly delicious and gorgeous! Gorgeous I tell you! They were much better than I had thought they would be and as ever, easy to make and easier to eat! The herbs really give the zucchini balls a great flavour and could be served simply as a side dish with no sauce. I use coconut flour to help bind the balls because it acts like a piece of kitchen roll and soaks up any moisture, but another low carb flour such as almond flour could be used instead.
You could also use this mixture to make fritters by forming the mixture into a patty shape instead. I do have a vegetarian halloumi burger but that has different flavours.
I served mine with a marinara sauce but they would be lovely just by themselves, or with a lemon butter over them. They could be a tasty starter or a lovely lunch with a side salad. Or a snack when you creep down to the refrigerator late at night….. 😉
Zucchini Halloumi Balls
- 3 Zucchini medium
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves chopped
- 100g Halloumi cheese grated
- 1 Egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons Mint finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thyme finely chopped
- 1 Lemon grated rind
- 3 tablespoons Coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Grate the zucchini and place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out all of the water from the grated zucchini and place in a bowl.
- Add the herbs, halloumi, garlic, egg and lemon zest and mix well. Season to taste.
- Add the coconut flour and if the mixture is not firm enough, add some more!
- Roll the mixture into small balls and chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the balls and keep turning them until golden brown on all sides.
- Eat and enjoy!