Nothing quite beats easy homemade mayonnaise. It's a great keto condiment without the hidden sugar of store bought
Once you go homemade, you cannot go back to the white slop supermarkets sell in jars. No nasty preservatives or chemical and sugars. Homemade mayonnaise is full of protein and good oils. It is easy to make although I confess it took me a couple of attempts to get it right. Followed by tears, temper tantrums and solace in a bottle of wine.
Making Homemade Mayonnaise
I now make it weekly with an electric whisk and could now whip up a batch blindfolded. The skill is to gently add the oil as you are whisking. The oils used can vary as it makes such a difference to flavour. I prefer either a light grapeseed oil or light olive oil. Avocado oil is a great choice if you can purchase a bottle that will not break the bank. You will find that various oils and the choice of lemon or apple cider vinegar can change the taste. You just need to play around with it until you get a mayonnaise you like. You can also add various seasonings to it for variety, such as garlic, lemon, basil, dill...the list goes on.
Recipes to Use Mayonnaise
Keto Homemade Mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon
- 200 ml light olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- Put the egg yolk in a bowl, add the mustard and a drop of the oil. Whisk until smooth. I use an electric whisk.
- Gently and slowly add the oil whilst whisking the egg mixture. Start with a drop at a time until it starts to emulsify. Then keep slowly adding until all the oil is used.
- Add the apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk again until combined.
- Adjust to Taste . Add more lemon juice/apple cider vinegar/mustard/salt & pepper to taste until you have a mayonnaise you want to dip things in. A sprinkle of garlic powder is my Divalicious secret to a tasty mayonnaise, but shush....don't tell everyone..
- Store in a jar and keep in the fridge.
Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.