Once you go homemade, you cannot go back to the white slop supermarkets sell in jars. No nasty preservatives or chemicals…home made is full of protein and good oils. It is easy to make although I confess it took me a couple of attempts to get it right. Followed by tears, temper tantrums and solace in a bottle of wine. I now make it with an electric whisk and could now whip up a batch blindfolded. The skill is to gently add the oil as you are whisking. The oils used can vary as it makes such a difference to flavour. I prefer either a light grapeseed oil or light olive oil. You will find that various oils and the choice of lemon or apple cider vinegar can change the taste..you just need to play around with it until you get a mayonnaise you like. You can also add various seasonings to it for variety, such as garlic, lemon, basil, dill…the list goes on. It’s your mayonnaise, your choice Diva!
2 eggs yolk
1 tspn mustard (you can use mustard powder too)
1 tblspn lemon juice OR apple cider vinegar
400 ml oil (light olive oil OR grapeseed oil)
salt and pepper to season
- Put the egg yolks in a bowl, add the mustard and a drop of the oil. Whisk until smooth.
- Gently and slowly add the oil whilst whisking the egg mixture. Start with a drop at a time until it starts to emulsify. Then keep slowly adding until all of the oil is used.
- Add the lemon juice Or apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk again.
- Taste . Add more lemon juice/apple cider vinegar/mustard/salt & pepper to taste until you have a mayonnaise you want to dip things in. A sprinkle of garlic powder is my Divalicious secret to a tasty mayonnaise, but shush….don’t tell everyone..
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for a week.