This delicious creamy keto cocktail sauce recipe goes great on chicken wings, shrimp cocktails, or anywhere you want a little sweetness and a spicy kick.
It's a flavorful and tangy creamy sauce that pairs wonderfully with seafood, making it an excellent choice for shrimp, crab, or oysters. By using low-carb ingredients and eliminating added sugars, this recipe ensures you can enjoy the flavors of cocktail sauce while staying within your dietary goals.
You will never purchase store bought sauce again once you make this keto cocktail sauce. I've been slathering it over slices of cucumber, avocado and been dipping cheese sticks into a jar of it.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Is cocktail sauce keto?
Traditional cocktail sauce typically contains added sugars, which can make it higher in carbohydrates and not suitable for a strict ketogenic (keto) diet. However, you can modify the recipe to make a keto-friendly version of cocktail sauce by using low-carb substitutes and eliminating added sugars.
Is cocktail sauce the same as thousand island sauce?
Cocktail Sauce and Thousand Island Dressing are both popular condiments used in various dishes, but they differ in terms of flavor profiles and main ingredients.
Cocktail sauce is known for its tangy, slightly spicy, and savory flavor. It typically has a tomato base and is often characterized by the combination of ketchup, horseradish, and citrus juice (such as lemon or lime). It has a usually thick and smooth texture. It's designed to be a dipping sauce and typically clings to the seafood it is served with.
Thousand Island dressing is a creamy and sweet condiment with a mild tang. It typically combines mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, and various seasonings such as Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and finely diced onions. It has a rich, slightly sweet flavor with a subtle tanginess. Thousand Island sauce is a creamy and emulsified dressing. It has a smooth and pourable consistency, making it ideal for dressing salads or as a condiment on sandwiches or burgers.
This is another sauce using our keto ketchup recipe. We have added mayonnaise to this for a creamy texture, which is not strictly traditional and can be omitted.
- Mayonnaise - we use a homemade mayonnaise recipe to ensure that it's sugar free Adds a creamy thick texture to the sauce. Not traditional, this can be omitted.
- Keto Ketchup - Sugar-free ketchup is the key ingredient to keep this cocktail sauce low-carb. You can find it in many grocery stores or make your own using a keto-friendly recipe.
- Hot sauce - Franks hot sauce is a great sugar free option. Adjust the hot sauce amount to your liking. Feel free to increase or decrease the spiciness based on your preference.
- Worcestershire sauce - just a dash is needed.
- Horseradish sauce - adds a delightful kick to the sauce, but be sure to choose one without added sugars.
- Lemon juice - freshly squeezed.
How to make keto cocktail sauce
This is a simple recipe to make, once you have your homemade mayonnaise and keto ketchup to hand.
Add all ingredients to a bowl, mix and chill for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. A simple and tasty low carb recipe.
Stored the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. We keep ours in an air tight jar.
Cocktail sauce is a versatile condiment that pairs well with a variety of seafood dishes. Cocktail sauce is a classic accompaniment to shrimp cocktail. Serve cooked and chilled shrimp on a platter with a bowl of cocktail sauce in the center for dipping.
Create a seafood platter with an assortment of chilled seafood like shrimp, crab legs, lobster, and clams. Offer cocktail sauce as one of the dipping options alongside melted butter or lemon wedges.
Use cocktail sauce as a flavorful condiment for fish tacos. Spread a spoonful of sauce on a warm tortilla before adding grilled or fried fish, fresh vegetables, and toppings.
Cocktail sauce isn't limited to seafood only. It can also be used as a zesty dip for fresh vegetables like celery, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber slices.
Creamy Keto Cocktail Sauce
- In a bowl, combine the sugar-free ketchup, mayonnaise, horseradish sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Once the sauce is well mixed, cover the bowl and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. This chilling time also helps enhance the taste.
- After refrigeration, give the sauce a final taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.