By substituting a few key ingredients, we've crafted a version of Mumbo Sauce that will satisfy your cravings without spiking your blood sugar levels. Instead of sugary condiments, we'll rely on low-carb alternatives to create the same bold, tangy profile you love.
Whether you're a fan of bold and tangy flavors or simply looking to explore a new taste sensation, Mumbo Sauce offers a unique combination that is sure to tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving for more.
This sauce was a winner for me and is fantastic with a grilled cheese sandwich. I have been caught dipping sticks of cheese into the jar on a late night snack attack too!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
What is Mumbo Sauce?
Originating from the streets of Washington, D.C., Mumbo Sauce (also known as Mambo sauce) has gained a cult-like following for its unique taste that beautifully marries sweet and tangy elements. Traditionally, this sauce is a beloved accompaniment to crispy chicken wings, but our keto-friendly twist ensures that you can enjoy it with an array of dishes while staying true to your dietary preferences.
When combined, the flavors of Mumbo Sauce create a harmonious blend that is both lip-smacking and satisfying. The sweetness balances the tanginess, while the savory spices add depth and richness to the sauce. It is this intricate fusion of tastes that has made Mumbo Sauce a beloved condiment, perfect for enhancing the flavor of everything from crispy chicken wings to grilled meats, vegetables, or even as a dipping sauce for fries.
Before you make this sauce you may want to make a batch of our keto ketchup as it forms the base of this tasty sauce.
- Keto Ketchup - make our homemade keto ketchup or purchase a bottle of sugar free ketchup.
- Brown Sweetener - for a richer flavor we use brown monk fruit sweetener. Any other low carb sugar substitutes may be used.
- Keto Honey - The Besti brand of sugar free honey is a good option.
- Hot Sauce - Franks hot sauce is a great low carb choice.
- Tamari sauce - a gluten free version of soy sauce.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - use a organic brand that contains the "mother," which is a beneficial colony of bacteria and enzymes that contribute to its health benefits and give it a cloudy appearance.
How to Make Mumbo Sauce
This is so easy to make, you will be making it every week.
Add all the ingredients in a saucepan.
Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Once cooled, keep the mumbo sauce in a sealable glass jar and store in the fridge. It should last a week.
Here are some useful tips to keep in mind when preparing a keto Mumbo Sauce:
- Adjust the sweetness: Since you'll be using a keto-friendly sweetener instead of traditional sugar or honey, it's important to taste and adjust the sweetness according to your preference. Add the sweetener gradually and taste as you go to achieve the desired level of sweetness without going overboard.
- Control the spice level: Mumbo Sauce can have a mild to moderate level of spiciness depending on your personal taste. If you prefer a milder sauce, reduce the amount of hot sauce or omit it entirely. On the other hand, if you enjoy some heat, feel free to increase the hot sauce or add other hot spices to suit your palate.
- Consistency and thickness: The consistency of Mumbo Sauce can vary from thin and pourable to slightly thick and clingy, depending on your preference. If you prefer a thinner sauce, you can adjust the water quantity accordingly. For a thicker consistency, reduce the amount of water or simmer the sauce for a little longer to reduce and thicken it.
- Allow the flavors to meld: Mumbo Sauce tastes even better after the flavors have had time to meld together. Consider refrigerating the sauce for a few hours or overnight before using it. This allows the spices to infuse and the flavors to intensify, resulting in a more robust and flavorful sauce.
- Versatility of usage: While Mumbo Sauce is commonly associated with chicken wings, don't limit its use to just one dish. Experiment with different culinary creations! Use it as a dipping sauce for grilled meats, drizzle it over roasted vegetables, or even incorporate it into stir-fries for an added flavor boost. The versatility of Mumbo Sauce makes it a fantastic companion to a wide range of dishes.
More Low Carb Sauce Recipes
Avoid the sugar with these low carb sauce recipes:
Keto Mumbo Sauce
- 1 cup keto ketchup
- ¼ cup keto honey
- ¼ cup brown monkfruit sweetener
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons Franks Hot Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan.
- Simmer on a low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce sticking to the pan.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Allow to cool before storing in sealable glass jars.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.