This low carb sub sandwich recipe is high in fibre and very filling. It is very easy to make and is gluten free and grain free too.
Although I have a few low carb and gluten free bread and bread roll recipes I had a hankering for a sub sandwich so played around with my trusty coconut flour and psyllium husk powder. The submarine sandwich has many different names such as hoagie, sub, wedge or Italian sandwich. Many names, but it’s still the same thing. A long bread roll used as a sandwich.
I was not happy with my first attempt as it was very heavy. So, for the next attempt, I separated the eggs, whisked up the egg whites and this seemed to help the texture. It’s not going to get those lovely air bubbles as you would a Ciabatta bread, but this is still a great low carb sandwich alternative. This was much better and it gave me the sub sandwich that I was hankering after.
When you are moulding the dough recipe into sub sandwich shapes it may be a bit sticky but don’t be too alarmed. Think of it as gooey playdough and just fashion it into its shape. When it is cooking, the dough should rise quite a bit as you would get with a yeast dough. It will deflate a little bit but should not collapse too much. If the dough does not seem to be quite as firm as you want after 30 minutes, give it another 5 minutes in the oven. Ovens can vary and I often eye mine up with suspicion.
I found this low carb sub sandwich recipe to be very filling. Admittedly, my first few attempts were baked into 2 subs, not 4 as this recipe states. I had one for lunch and could not eat anything else that day. It was so filling and I had to reduce the mixture down to 4 subs to stop the afternoon naps on the sofa after consuming one.
I’m fairly sure that you could adapt this recipe with almond flour if you did not want to use coconut flour. Although I would use about one cup of almond flour instead and perhaps reduce the eggs to four.
The Chief Taster enjoyed this once I slathered it cheese and melted it under the grill. His usual suspicious of flaxseed were alerted though despite the whole recipe only having 2 tablespoons of flaxseed in it. I think he saw the bag of flaxseed flour on the kitchen counter when I was making a batch of these sub sandwiches and he went into a panic mode. The flavour of flaxseed is not that strong in this recipe and I think it gives a more wholemeal texture to the recipe.
Whether you choose to simply fill this with a sandwich filling or use it for a slice of garlic cheese bread, this is a great gluten free and low carb sub sandwich recipe. It’s the base for my cheesy olive bread recipe too. I have a couple in the fridge that I shall be munching on for lunch. My afternoon nap should then commence about an hour later!
WATCH THE VIDEO OF THE RECIPE
Low Carb Sub Sandwich
- 1/2 Cup Coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons Flaxseed flour/ground flaxseed
- 4 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 5 eggs separated
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- In a bowl add the coconut flour, ground flaxseed, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, salt and seasonings. Mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the egg yolks to the coconut flour mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Add the olive oil and mix well. Then stir in the apple cider vinegar.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Add the boiling water and gently mix. If the mixture looks a bit too soft, let it sit for at least 10 minutes to firm up.
- Split the mixture into 4 sections and take one section. Using your hands, make it into a sandwich sub shape.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, and repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm and golden.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
OVER 100 COCONUT FLOUR RECIPES IN THIS CURRENT EBOOK OFFER. $6 FOR 3 EBOOKS PLUS A FREE PALEO EBOOK
CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW FOR THE LINK