Mini keto bread rolls are sliced in half and slathered with a garlic butter and grated cheese for a delicious side dish or appetiser.
One of the hardest parts of following a low carb diet is saying farewell to bread. With these tasty keto garlic bread rolls you can say a big “hello” and a “don’t mind if I do”. They psyllium husk powder give the bread rolls the elasticity that normal bread can have. It also means that they are low in carbs as well as gluten free.
WHY ARE MY KETO BREAD ROLLS PURPLE?
When baking with psyllium husk powder results can vary between brands and some will make the breads appear with a purple hue. This does not affect the taste of the bread. As with most baking, different products can yield different results.
I found these garlic bread rolls very filling and a hearty dish by themselves. Garlic bread is often served as an appetiser or as a side. I enjoyed a couple of these with a hearty bowl of zucchini basil soup. Garlic and cheese dipped into a creamy basil soup was utterly delicious.
CAN I USE ALMOND FLOUR FOR KETO GARLIC ROLLS?
If you don’t want to use coconut flour for these garlic bread rolls you can happily use almond flour. I would advise that you change the quantity to 1 ½ cups almond flour in place of the coconut flour in this recipe.
I used grated Mozzarella for the cheese topping but Cheddar cheese would be a great replacement. Or you could use a blend of cheeses. Make sure that the cheese melts well. Without the cheese, these garlic bread rolls are still very delicious. To quote a British comedy show, “Garlic bread. It’s the future”.
HOW TO MAKE KETO GARLIC BREAD ROLLS
Making keto garlic bread rolls is simple and can be made in any shape. You could try making longer bread sticks with the dough too.
OTHER LOW CARB BREAD APPETISERS TO MAKE:
Chaffle Garlic Cheese Bread Sticks
Cheesy Keto Garlic Bread Rolls
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 4 tablespoons flaxseed, ground
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted melted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup boiling water
- 4 oz butter softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves of fresh garlic chopped
- 2 oz Mozzarella cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- In a bowl mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the melted butter and stir well
- Add the egg whites and apple cider vinegar and continue to mix.
- Gradually add the boiling water until you have a dough.
- Roll the mixture into six buns. I rolled mine long, but you could have rounder shapes if you wanted
- Place the rolls on a parchment paper lined baking tray
- Bake for 30 minutes until the bottom of the rolls are firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool enough to handle
- Mix the butter and garlic together
- Slice the rolls in half length ways and spread the butter on each half.
- Place the bread roll halves back on the baking tray and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 220C/410F degrees until the cheese has melted.
Hi Angela, I love your recipes, thank you!
Just noticed on the introduction to this recipe though, you say ‘high in carbs as well as gluten free’. Is that a mistake for ‘low in carbs?’
opps! Thanks for letting me know!
Can I use full egg instead of only whites?
Yes you could. I used egg whites to stop the bread tasting too "eggy"
For the bread topping: wouldn't fresh garlic be a better choice than garlic powder?
You could happily use it. I was out of garlic when I made these!