These keto cheesy breadsticks are made from coconut flour and served with a a side of marinara sauce, they are utterly delicious.
I have a similar recipe for breadsticks made with almond flour and as I went to make a batch of them I realised that I my cupboards were bare! So as a gamble I reached for coconut flour and tried the recipe with that instead. Well, pop me on the next flight to Las Vegas as my gamble paid up! Ding, ding, ding jackpot!
The possibilities of this recipe are endless! Well, okay, about a couple of different things could change. On my first bake, I chilled the dough for 30 minutes and used half to make the cheesy breadsticks and the other half were rolled out into dough balls. Both were lovely but we preferred the breadsticks over the doughballs. That’s just a personal taste or food mood of the day!
On the second bake I decided not to chill the dough and bake the breadsticks immediately. They were my favourite as they were a bit softer and more pliable. The taste was just as delicious, it’s just the texture of the bake depending upon whether the dough has been chilled that changes.
So, you could choose to chill for a firmer dough or roll into dough balls. Perhaps add more spice to the dough? Serve with garlic butter? Slather more cheese over them. They will become your new addiction until you’ve eaten too many and cry out for a salad or soup!
My only word of warning, apart from the addiction is that they are very filling. You won’t be able to eat the whole batch by yourself. If you can then I applaud you and can only guess that you had not eaten anything else that day! We shared a batch between us, groaned that we were full and could not eat anything else that evening. Mind you, we had a large breakfast that seemed to keep us going that day.
Before you ask, they do keep overnight in the fridge (the second batch defeated us and we couldn’t manage it all) so I munched on the left overs the next day. A perfect snack! Makes 9 breadsticks but will depend upon how small or large you roll them.
- 1 cup (100g) Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup (56g) Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (56g) coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons (13g) ground flaxseed
- 4 tablespoons (56g) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix the butter, eggs, Parmesan and Mozzarella together.
- Add the coconut flour, flaxseed and garlic powder until you have a dough.
- For a firm breadstick – chill the dough for 30 minutes
- For a soft breadstick – use the dough immediately.
- Tear small balls from the dough and using your hands, roll into breadsticks. Sometimes having wet hands helps.
- Place the breadsticks on a parchment paper lined baking tray and bake at 180C/350F degrees for 15 minutes, turning over hallway through.
- Nutritional Information per stick – 137 Calories, 11g Fat, 7g Protein, 2g Total Carbs, 1g Fibre, 1g Net Carbs