Light and summery, these keto broccoli fritters are flavoured with Feta cheese and lemon. Coconut flour is used to bind the fritter mixture making them low carb, gluten-free and nut-free too.
I love the taste and flavours of these fritters as the lemon lifts the saltiness of the feta and goes well with the broccoli. They can be great as a side dish, but sometimes I have these as a main with a salad.
Broccoli fritters are a great way to sneak some green veggies into your family's diet. I am always up for sneaking healthy food into dishes. The Chief Taster is often stirring food suspiciously with a fork and asking me "what else is in here?".
Are broccoli fritters keto?
Broccoli is the green cousin of cauliflower as it's also a versatile low carb vegetable with just 4g net carbohydrates in a 100g serving. These broccoli fritters make a great low carb appetizer or light lunch with a single fritter having 4g net carbs each.
Just a few ingredients are used in this healthy broccoli fritters recipe. For the seasoning we used sumac in addition to salt and pepper but you could add your own favourite herbs and spices.
The amount of lemon used may be increased if you want a stronger lemon flavour.
How to make keto broccoli fritters
Broccoli fritters are easy and quick to make. We have pan fried the fritters but they can be cooked in the air fryer too.
It's as simple as mixing cooked vegetables and cheese together. Form into patties and fry.
When handing the fritters, they can be delicate so be careful not to break them.
- Cook the broccoli florets.
- Drain and mash the broccoli.
- Add the egg, lemon, seasoning, garlic and feta cheese and mix.
- Add the coconut flour to bind the fritter mixture.
- Shape the broccoli mixture into patty shapes.
- Cook and eat!
Can I use almond flour?
Any low carb flour can be used to bind the broccoli fritters. If you are using almond flour you will need to increase the volume.
Other low carb flours to bind the broccoli and cheese fritters are lupin flour, oat fiber or ground flaxseed. All will change the flavour slightly so you may need to adjust your seasonings.
Can the broccoli fritters be baked?
Although frying them in the pan or air frying the fritters gives them a crispy coating they can be baked in the oven. To bake them in the oven, place the broccoli fritters on a parchment line baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes at 200C/400F degrees, gently turning them over half way through baking.
Storage and Freezing
If you have any leftover fritters they can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container. To reheat, pop them in either the air fryer for a couple of minutes or in the skillet.
These are easy to freeze too. When freezing fritters, place a square of parchment paper in between each patty to stop them sticking. Place the patties in a zip lock bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
What to serve with broccoli fritters
These broccoli feta fritters are delicious simply by themselves with a dip. A homemade mayonnaise is always great with a dash of Sriracha sauce but try the fritters with a keto French onion dip or zucchini hummus.
The broccoli feta fritters in the photos have been served with a crumble of Feta cheese on top with a swirl of Sriracha sauce.
These low carb broccoli fritters can be made ahead, and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook them.
Drain the broccoli well to get rid of any excess water. You don't want soggy fritters!
Swap the feta cheese with shredded cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese or grated Gouda.
Cooked broccoli rice could be used in place of the mashed broccoli florets.
More Low Carb Broccoli Recipes
If you are looking for more keto broccoli recipes, you may enjoy these.
This recipe was originally post in May 2014. The photos and content have been updated but the recipe remains the same.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Broccoli Feta Fritters
- 10 oz broccoli florets about 3 cups
- 5 oz Feta cheese crumbled
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sumac optional
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- Place the broccoli florets in a saucepan of water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes until tender.
- Drain the broccoli and allow to cool.
- Place the broccoli in a large mixing bowl and gently mash with a fork.
- Add the garlic, egg, lemon juice, lemon rind, Feta cheese and seasoning. Mix well.
- Stir in the coconut flour and mix until the batter mixture is firm enough to form into patties. More coconut flour may be required.
- Use a cookie scoop or your wet hands form into fritter shapes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or skill on a medium heat.
- Place the patties in the pan and fry on each side for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Eat and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.