A flaxseed bread loaf that is a healthier replacement for bread as is is high in fibre and low in carbs. Gluten free too, this makes a great bread for toast.
If you want a bread that is very low in carbs and gluten free, then this is the loaf for you since flaxseed is low in carbs and also has a high omega 3 fatty acid content (33 times higher than wheat germ). The fibre content is high too. The joy of flax!
This bread tastes like a wholewheat loaf and I love it toasted, slathered in butter. I usually toast this under the oven grill rather than in the toaster because it makes a moist loaf and is a challenge to get out of toaster!
You can make this with just the egg whites and it works out fine. I’ve also made this with 5 egg yolks and have been happy with it. It’s up to you whether you want to add the egg yolks and it will depend upon the size of your eggs really. See how you go as you make the mixture and when you get to the stage that you could add egg yolks, see how thick the mixture is. If it’s too dry, add the egg yolks one by one until you are happy with it. Nothing worse than eggy bread!
This is very low in carbs and is also gluten free. A great way to enjoy flaxseed in your diet. It keeps very well for at least a week in the fridge in a container.
You could add herbs and spices to this flaxseed bread if you are not too keen on the taste. Or perhaps some nuts or dried fruit too? I’ve made a flaxseed bread flavoured with sundried tomato, olive and Feta cheese that you might also enjoy.
WATCH THE RECIPE:
Flaxseed Bread Loaf
- 2 Cups Flaxseed - golden ground
- 5 Egg whites
- 3 Egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons Coconut/olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- In another bowl, blend the flax seed, baking powder, salt and oil.
- Add the egg yolks, water and apple cider vinegar.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the flaxseed mixture.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes until firm and golden.
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $9.27Was: $10.30
Price: $13.99Was: $15.95