Keto broccoli tots are a quick and easy snack or appetizer that can be served with your favorite dip. They also go great with grilled chicken or some grilled salmon as a side dish. Made with almond flour these are low carb and gluten-free.
We have made these keto broccoli tots in the air fryer but they can be baked too. Cooking them in the air fryer is quicker and they are slightly crispier too.
What are keto broccoli tots?
Broccoli tots are a smaller version of a potato croquette. They are normally made with breadcrumbs to bind them, so making them low carb is easy by replacing this with a low carb flour.
Broccoli tots are a colourful version of 'tater tots" and a healthier version as there is no potato in them.
Carbs in Broccoli
Broccoli is a great low carb vegetable with just 4.4g net carbohydrates per 100g serving. It can be enjoyed raw in salads, with a dip or cooked. It's almost as versatile as cauliflower in low carb recipes.
Health Benefits of Broccoli
Broccoli is a great source of nutrients, is high in fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, potassium and iron. It's also low in calories as well as carbohydrates. It's also a great food to add to your dog's food.
With just a few basic low carb ingredients you can easily make a batch of broccoli tots. Essentially the tots are made with broccoli, cheese, egg and a flour to bind them.
We used almond flour to bind them to keep the recipe low carb and grain-free.
How to Make Keto Broccoli Tots
This is such an easy broccoli tots recipe to make and a recipe that the kids would enjoy making too. The most time consuming stage is shaping them. We use a small cookie scoop to keep an even shape but you could use your hands to shape them.
When cooking these broccoli tots in the air fryer you will need to do this in batches as the tots should be in one layer to ensure even cooking.
- Place raw broccoli florets in a food processor.
- Pulse to make broccoli rice. Cook the broccoli rice in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the broccoli rice with the other ingredients and mix.
- Using a small cookie scooper for the tots.
- Shape with your hands into tot shapes.
- Place in an air fryer basket and lightly spray with oil
What to serve with broccoli tots
As delicious as these cheesy broccoli tots are by themselves, serve them with a dip for a low carb snack or appetizer. A low carb marinara sauce, ranch dressing or a blue cheese dressing go well with these keto veggie tots. Serve them to the kids as a side with with low carb fish sticks and sugar-free ketchup.
These cheesy broccoli tots can be made ahead and reheated later. Store them in the refrigerator in a sealed container, ready to be devoured. Reheat them in the air fryer for 3-5 minutes. They will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Cauliflower is the perfect substitute
Try another cheese for additional flavour in place of the Cheddar cheese. A smoked Gouda would be yummy.
Make sure you spray the air fryer basket to stop the veggie tots from sticking.
Try adding chopped cooked bacon to the tot mixture, or cooked ham. Cooked chicken would work too.
Place with the seasonings and spice the broccoli tots up to your own taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to freeze the broccoli tots, place them in an air tight container or zip lock bag. They should last up to 3 months in the freezer and should be defrosted in the refrigerator before reheating.
Frozen broccoli can be used but it must be defrosted before using.
To make nut free broccoli tots, coconut flour could be used but the volume will be reduced to about ½ cup.
If you don't have an air fryer, bake them in the oven on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for 20-25 minutes at 200C/400F degrees.
More low carb air fryer recipes
Are you looking for more low carb air fryer recipes? Try a few of these (they can also be made in the oven if you don't have an air fryer and still taste great).
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Broccoli Tots
- 14 oz broccoli about one large head
- ¾ cup Cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Chop the broccoli into florets and place in a food processor. Pulse until you have rice like texture.
- Place the broccoli in a medium bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Or steam for 5-7 minutes until slightly tender.
- In a large mixing bowl add the broccoli rice with the other ingredients and mix well.
- Using a small cookie scoop or your hands, scoop the broccoli mixture and shape into the tots shape.
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes as per the manufacturers instructions.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with oil and place on layer of the broccoli tots in it. Give them a little spray of oil too.
- Cook at 180C/350F degrees for 10 minutes until golden.
- Serve with a dip.