Keto brussel sprouts are cooked in the air fryer and tossed in a balsamic dressing with toasted walnuts for a tasty low carb, dairy-free and gluten-free side dish.
This is an easy side dish that beats serving soggy over boiled brussel sprout for the holidays! Try your sprouts crispy and see what you think!
Air fried brussel sprouts have a crispy coating but are still tender and cooked through. They taste delicious and could almost convert a brussel sprout hater.
The best thing about cooking your brussel sprouts in the air fryer is that it frees up your oven space when you are cooking for the holidays!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
ARE BRUSSEL SPROUTS KETO?
These mini cabbage looking vegetables are great for a keto diet. A general rule of thumb for vegetables is that anything grown above the ground is low carb, anything below the soil is high in carbs.
A 100g serving (just over a cup) has just 5g net carbohydrates in brussel sprouts, plus they are high in fiber, vitamin C and vitamin A, antioxidants and are full of minerals.
HOW TO PICK BRUSSEL SPROUTS
When shopping for brussels sprouts you want to pick sprouts that are firm with tightly layered leaves. Anything with wrinkled leaves should be set aside. Smaller sprouts can be sweeter than larger.
This recipe has a dressing for the cooked brussel sprouts but this can be omitted or replaced with a dressing or sauce of your choice.
HOW TO AIR FRY KETO BRUSSEL SPROUTS
Air frying brussel sprouts is easy and quick. Ensure that the sprouts are washed thoroughly and dried before cooking.
Wash, trim and slice the brussel sprouts in half
Place in the brussel sprouts in the air fryer.
Toss the cooked brussel sprouts in the dressing
Serve and enjoy!
If you are air frying small sprouts they may not need slicing in half.
You can make different flavors to this keto brussel sprouts recipe:
- Bacon - add chopped cooked bacon
- Parmesan Cheese- sprinkle grated parmesan on the sprouts during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Buffalo Sauce - for an extra spicy keto side dish toss the cooked sprouts in buffalo sauce.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container and should last up to 3 days. Reheat them in the air fryer for a couple of minutes.
Frozen brussel sprouts can be cooked in the air fryer but they will not be as crispy. They will take a few more minutes too cook too.
Reheat the sprouts in the air fryer to keep them crispy. If you reheat them in the microwave they will be a bit softer.
If you prefer a more tender sprout, soak them in water for 30 minutes before cooking. Ensure that you dry them thoroughly.
You can make the air fryer brussel sprouts ahead on the same day and store in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Reheat them and toss them in the dressing with the walnuts.
MORE KETO SIDE DISHES
Sometimes side dishes can be the best part of a meal! Try some of our keto side dishes.
Keto Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- 1 lb brussel sprouts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 oz walnuts toasted
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes as per the manufacturers instructions.
- Wash and dry the brussel sprouts. Remove any hard outer leaves and trim the bottoms. Slice in half.
- Lightly spray the sprouts with cooking oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Set the air fryer at 200C/400F degrees and place the brussel sprouts in the air fryer basket. Cook for 5 minutes and shake the basket to turn them over. Cook for another 7 minutes.
Mix the Dressing
- In a large bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients.
- Toss the cooked brussel sprouts in the dressing and add the walnuts.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.