These air fryer keto fish sticks are made with a crispy almond flour coating and are a quick and easy meal the family will enjoy. Once you try home made you will never bake store bought again!
Who didn’t enjoy fish sticks as a kid? Crunchy breaded coating with soft flaky fish were a common meal for us. So, to continue to enjoy them in the prime of our adulthood, I’ve made these fish sticks keto and gluten free. A coating mix of almond flour and spices is used to make a great crunchy coating for the fish sticks.
Making Keto Fish Sticks
In making these fish sticks I've used the standard breading method of dipping the fish into a flour before dipping them into beaten egg. In place of flour I have used oat fiber. This helps the egg stick to the food, and the coating stick to the egg.
Enjoy a range of seasonings for the fish stick coating. Other seasoning suggestions are:
- Cajun spice blend
- Lemon pepper
- Herb mixture of oregano, thyme & basil
The keto breading I have used is almond flour but you could use a mix of other other carb ingredients. A few suggestions are:
- Pork rinds - ground in a food processor
- A mixture of almond flour and Parmesan cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Coconut flour
- Unsweetened desiccated coconut
What if I don't have an air fryer?
If you don't have an air fryer, don't despair as these low carb fish sticks can be baked in the oven or fried in a pan. To bake them in an oven, place them on a parchment lined baking tray, lightly spray with oil and cook for 15-20 minutes at 350F degrees.
Can these be frozen?
To freeze these fishsticks, wrap them up well before placing in the freezer. When you are ready to eat them, defrost and reheat them.
What to serve with fish sticks
Any firm white fish can be used such as cod, tilapia or halibut. If you are using frozen fish ensure that it is thoroughly defrosted first.
For an extra crispy coating, double dip into the egg and almond flour.
Instead of making fish sticks, slice the fish into nuggets. They may take a few minutes quicker to cook due to the smaller size.
More low carb fish dinners
Keto Fish Sticks
- Assemble your dipping station with one shallow dish with the oat fiber, another with the beaten egg and a third with the almond flour mixed with the spices.
- Cut the fish into strips. (A bit more evenly and thinner than my chunky ones!)
- Dip the fish sticks into the oat fiber, then into the beaten egg. Finally dip into the almond flour mixture. If there is not enough even coverage, go for a double dip and dip back into the egg and almond flour mixture.
- Spray the air fryer basked with oil and place the fish sticks into it. Lightly spray them with oil.
- Cook at 200C/390F degrees for 10 – 12 minutes. I didn’t flip them as the air fryer cooks evenly but you could flip them halfway through cooking if you want
- Serve hot with a side of dips or sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.