Easy air fryer coconut shrimp are a great low carb appetizer. Shrimp is air fried with a crunchy coconut coating and best served with a spicy dipping sauce.
This low carb coconut shrimp recipe is a simple, but you could add spices or herbs to the coconut coating if you prefer. Try the recipe as it is, then make it again with your own flourish. It’s a much healthier alternative to deep fried coconut shrimp.
This is now one of the Chief Taster’s favourite recipes and has been in constant demand from him whilst we are stuck at home. The freezer is now full of shrimp and the air fryer is pride of place in the kitchen. I have NEVER owned a deep fryer, but the air fryer has been a revelation for me. I’ve been air frying most ingredients from our fridge!
How to make coconut shrimp in the air fryer
- The shrimp must be raw and if you are using frozen, ensure that it is thoroughly defrosted.
- I dip my shrimp in almond flour then into beaten egg, then into unsweetened desiccated coconut for the crunch topping. You could always skip the dipping into the almond flour if you have a nut allergy. I've tried this recipe with just dipping into the egg and coconut flour with no complaints. The shrimp will be less crispy but the Chief Taster devoured them in a flourish.
- Layer the shrimp in one layer in the air fryer. You may need to cook your shrimp in batches depending upon the size of the shrimp.
- Once your coconut shrimp in in the air fryer, lightly spray them with oil. This helps with the crispy coating. Halfway through cooking, turn over the shrimp, spray them and return to cooking.
How long to cook coconut shrimp in the air fryer?
The cooking time may vary due to the size of the shrimp and the model of the air fryer. I use frozen shrimp with the 18-20 count on the packet.
I preheat my air fryer before cooking and cook the shrimps for 10 minutes at 400F.
No air fryer? No problem!
If you don’t have an air fryer, these coconut shrimps could be baked in an oven. Place them on a parchment paper lined baking tray and bake at 200C/400F degrees for 10 minutes.
Low carb dips
I serve my coconut shrimp with homemade mayonnaise with a dash of sriracha sauce but try these other dips too:
Other keto air fryer appetizers
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- air fryer
- 15 shrimp peeled, deveined (tails on, optional)
- 1 medium egg
- ½ cup desiccated coconut unsweetened
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- Dry shrimps on a kitchen towel
- Whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Mix the almond flour, salt & garlic powder in a shallow bowl
- Dip the shrimps into the almond mixture
- Dip the shrimps into the beaten egg, then dip into the coconut, trying to cover as much of the shrimp as possible.
- Repeat with all the shrimp.
- Place the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket
- Lightly spray the coconut covered shrimp with oil.
- Cook at 200C/400F and fry for 10 minutes until golden brown. Turn the shrimp over half-way through cooking and give them another light spray of oil.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply