Flatbread (Coconut Flour and Psyllium)

Yummy flatbread
Yummy flatbread

This is another great use of Psyllium in a grain free bread recipe and is very easy to make too.   Since Psyllium and coconut flour are high in fibre this bread is very filling.  Make sure you drink a lot of water!  You can use this for dipping with sauces, spread with pate or load it up like a open sandwich.    Use it like a sandwich wrap, make a mini pizza…just have fun and enjoy it!  You could play around with the spices too, perhaps add chillis?

I found this recipe from a lovely blog http://clevercook.net.au/ which is full of awesome recipes!    I used a griddle pan to cook them as I liked the markings it gave on the bread too.

Flatbread (Coconut Flour and Psyllium)

• Servings: 1-2
  • Time: 25mins
  • Difficulty: easy

60g coconut flour

2 tblspn psyllium husk powder (must be the powder form).

40g coconut oil (or melted butter)

1/2 tspn salt

1 tspn baking powder

250g boiling water (boil it just as you need it)

herbs/garlic powder (optional)

An open sandwich with grilled veggies
An open sandwich with grilled veggies

• Mix the dry ingredients with a hand whisk.

1 - mixture

• Add the oil and blend well.  It will look like a nut butter.

3 - mix together

• Add the boiling water, half at a time and blend until a dough like mixture forms.

4 - Add half the water 5 -Add remaining water 6 - blend well 9 Final Dough

• Divide the mixture into 3 large balls.
  • Roll the balls between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper and flatten out.

7 - Rolled out

• Dry fry in a pan for 2– 3 minutes each side, until golden.

8 - Dry fry in pan

• Makes 2-4.

Nutrition – Each :: 185 Calories; 12g Fat; 3g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carb

If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss a recipe!

Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun!

78 Comments Add yours

1. Erin O'Leary says:

This looks delicious! :)

2. roberta4949 says:

will try it, thanks. wondered what I was going to do with this coconut I have, I dont have any psyllium I will substitute oat bran will that work? I really dont’ like bread anymore since following this lower carb diet I have been following a month now, but this bread you made sounds delicious.

1. Divalicious says:

I am not too sure, but hey, it’s always worth a try!

3. Kelly says:

this looks so good!.

Hope you enjoy it!

4. Fruitbat says:

Wow these are totally amazing, we can’t believe how good they are. I’ve been grain free for about 3 months and these are the closest I have tasted to a wheat or rye product since then. The texture is perfect. Yum, thanks very much for posting this!

1. Divalicious says:

Glad you enjoyed them Anna. I find this is a great recipe when I am hungry and want something quick! Great as mini pizza bases too when my stomach is impatiently growling at me!

1. Sandra Brockel says:

Is there anything you can use in place of the Psyllium husk.

2. Divalicious says:

Hi Sandra. I think that ground flaxseeds or chia seeds might work. I would lean to add a pinch of baking soda too to give it a bit of a lift. Hope it works!

5. Kelly Mac says:

Hey folks, tried a similar recipe using psyllium and tried some substitutions. My finding? Go and get some psyillium husk. Not expensive and great to have as nothing else really fills that spot if you want decent ‘bread’ ….. (plus it’s good for you and fills you up!) ;-)

1. Divalicious says:

And it’s quick to make..I make a quick pizza out of it when pressed for time!

6. Sheryl C says:

this sounds great but I ‘m not sure how to convert the measurements for the coconut flour and oil from grams to cups…can you help me!? Thanks!

1. Divalicious says:

Hi! Hlad you like the recipe! Try this link for the conversion. Let me know if you have any problems! http://calculator-converter.com/converter_g_to_c_grams_to_cups_calculator.php

1. SwervinMervin says:

Beware!! Its not accurate to convert mass to volume without knowing the density of the matter involved. (e.g. 250g of water = 250mL of water, but 60g of coconut does not = 60mL of coconut). Similarly for grams to cups. This conversion table is specifically for water.

7. Laura says:

I’ve just made these and I’m really not sure what I’ve done wrong! I ended up with flat soggy oily messes :/ any suggestions?

1. Divalicious says:

Hmmm…have been pondering over this one as I make this a lot and have not yet encountered this problem. I wonder whether the key is the type of psyllium powder? My advice would be to add the water at the end in stages, blending the mixture until you have a dough.

1. Maryanne says:

I tried this today and i couldn’t even pick it up from pan- mess of crumbs!! What did i do wrong?

2. Divalicious says:

Hi Maryanne, it sounds like you did not have enough water in it. Before it goes in the pan it should have a dough like consistency. Try not to overwork the mixture too. Thanks for popping by and hope the next attempt at this is successful!

8. Teri says:

How many carbs does one serving have? Thanks!

5 net carbs. Nutritional information has been updated

9. So I tried making this, and it stuck to the pan using the “dry fry” method. I use cast iron. Also, the inside was raw, even after cooking it much longer than you recommend. Should I bake or deep fry this instead? I don’t understand why it stayed raw for so long, or why it kept sticking to the pan. Even when I added oil for the next piece, it was still sticking. I really want to like this bread, help!

1. Divalicious says:

Hi Amanda. Sorry to hear this is not working..I am wondering whether it’s the cast iron pan? This should not stick to the pan. How about trying a saucepan? Or other type of pan. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

1. I ended up baking the next batch in the oven, much better texture, albeit a slower method.

I would like this bread to have just a bit more stretch to use as a wrap, would xanathan gum help with this?

2. Divalicious says:

ooh – that’s interesting! I will have to try to bake these. Am very curious how they turn out now! Yes, I would think that xanatham gum might help you use this as a wrap!

3. The xanathan gum did help somewhat with the flexibility. This is a recipe to experiment with :)

4. Divalicious says:

ooh! Good to know! I tried a batch with curry powder last night…very tasty!

5. Kemi says:

I am just loving your site. I only found it yesterday through another site. I ve ordered my first packet of the psyllium powder on Amazon, cant wait to try some of your bread recipes. Thanks for sharing.

6. Divalicious says:

Hi Kemi! So glad you found me and enjoy the recipes! Thanks for popping by and happy baking!

2. Missy says:

Use a non-stick pan (Teflon) and a quick spray of coocnut or olive oil. It should flip like an omelet without a spatula! Mine did.

10. Dar says:

So, how much xanathan gum?

11. carynjw says:

I tried these yesterday and they came out as total gloop and just didn’t work. I tried again today adding water slowly until it formed a dough, and didn’t add the whole 250ml as suggested. Worked much better, but does still take longer than the 2-3 minutes each side.
    Strong flavour, but really nice.

1. Divalicious says:

Hi, I think it really does vary on the brand of coconut flour too, as I find mine slightly vary between different brands. Glad it eventually worked out for you though!

1. EV Lininger says:

Hi, On low carb for several weeks now and no oven, so trying for something like this bread that’s not baked. I am now in PR and not much available, did not see psyllium anywhere at the Health food store. Can I substitute with almond meal? I do have the coconut flour. Great blog and ideas! Thanks!

2. Divalicious says:

I’m not if almond meal would work…but hey, always worth a try! Glad you are enjoying the blog…thanks for popping by!

12. Peggy says:

I used various websites to convert the weight measurements to dry measure. Is this correct?
    1C coconut flour
    2.75Tbsp coconut oil (or melted butter)
    1C boiling water

1. Divalicious says:

Hi Peggy, I would use just over half a cup of coconut flour – I looked at this link for the conversion. http://www.traditionaloven.com/culinary-arts/flours/coconut-flour/convert-us-measuring-cup-to-gram-g-of-coconut-flour.html Everything else looked okay. I would add the water gradually though to make sure the consistency is okay too. Hope you enjoy it!

1. Missy says:

These are sooooo easy! Thank you! I don’t use metric, so I followed your conversion and used 1/2c coconut flour, 2T psyllium, baking soda, and 3Tbutter and poured 1c boiling water over, a little at a time while stirring.

2. Divalicious says:

Glad you enjoyed them!

13. Ceirah says:

Hi, I would very much like to try this but haven’t been able to find Psyllium in Dubai. Do you know where I can get it or do I have to go online? Thanks. Ps Your recipes look delicious and have been pinning away like mad!

1. Divalicious says:

I would try the Organic Cafe…failing that it may be only available online. I am glad you enjoy the site! Happy cooking!

14. Dustin says:

I split the recipe into 10 small balls instead of 3 large ones and used a rolling pin to flatten each between two sheets of parchment paper. It made excellent 1.5g net carb tortillas!

1. Divalicious says:

Genius idea Dustin!!! Just genius!

15. Hi, I just tried these, and I had serious problems with keeping them together. When I tried to flip the bread in the pan I ended up with bits and pieces. I followed your recipe except I used ground flax seed instead of psyllium. Anybody else having this issue? Any suggestions on what to do differently? (I still ate them; used them as a base and built a salad on top)

1. Divalicious says:

Perhaps add more water? The psyllium helps binds the mixture and it should be dough like. However I like the idea of using ground flax seed too!

16. rodneywills says:

As a beginner what temperature would you bske this at and for how long? thanks

1. Divalicious says:

Oooh… I’d try about 380-400 F degrees for about 20 mins, but flip it over half way. This is a rough guess as I cook mine on a stove..

17. I made this today and made a pizza out of one and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

Glad you enjoyed it!

18. Sean says:

Hi Diva,
    Well I tried these a second time and had the same result. I used metric for everything and weighed the ingredients incl coconut oil as solid, then melting. Admittedly I added the oil and water all at once but still found a doughy consistency after mixing.
    Then putting it in the (dry) pan, I found a lovely layer of the bread stick to the non-stick cast iron pan. It doesn’t really work after that.
    Perhaps you could put some more photos or a video of you making it so I/we can check our progress more closely?

1. Divalicious says:

Hi Sean, that is puzzling but since you asked so nicely I’ll make a batch at the weekend and will photograph each stage (I’m too camera shy to do a video yet!). Once it’s posted I’ll drop you a line. Thanks for letting me know!

1. Sean says:

How did you go with the photos?

2. Divalicious says:

Will be posting soon Sean..am busy with a new puppy at the moment but haven’t forgotten you!!

3. Divalicious says:

Hi Sean, I’ve messaged you but wanted to let you know that I’ve updated this post with more photos, showing the various stages. Hope it helps and the next batch works out!

19. ARGYRO says:

Just made one batch, love them! They are very tasty, fluffy and light! And last but not least, they are made very easily and quickly. Will absolutely make them again and again and again! Thanks for the recipe!

1. Divalicious says:

Huzzah! Glad you enjoyed them. They are a great quick meal to make too when you get home, hungry and don’t fancy waiting ages to eat. Thanks for posting!

20. Sam says:

Hi I was wondering which brand of psyllium husk powder you use? Also can u tell me the weight conversion for the psyllium (in grams or oz, not TBSP)

1. Divalicious says:

Hi Sam, I use a brand called Konsyl which I’ve found in my pharmacy. The weight in grams would be 10g.

21. Sam says:

What brand of psyllium husk powder do you use?

1. Divalicious says:

A brand called Konsyl which I find in my pharmacy.

22. sn says:

I’m on a keto-diet and I was craving bread so badly! Just tried this recipe and it works great! I like that there is no egg in this (I’m so sick of eating eggs on this keto diet).Thank you so much for sharing.

1. Divalicious says:

Glad you enjoy it! Try the wrap recipe too…no eggs, keto friendly and very easy to make too!

23. Pingback: Coconut Flatbread

Love to hear your comments on this!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s