Chicken Florentine Stuffed Peppers
The Chief Taster called this a hearty main course but that’s probably because I gave him two large stuffed peppers rather than one with a side salad or vegetables. He ate them all though. It’s an easy dish to make and full of flavour. It calls for cooked chicken and I used steamed cooked chicken as I find steaming the chicken keeps it moist (says the vegetarian!). You can serve this with a side salad, cauliflower rice, veggies or a nice tomato sauce. Or just eat it on its own.
Low carb and gluten free, this is a great supper dish with no guilt! Huzzah! You could play around with the cheese ingredient too, as I think this would be nice with a few tablespoons of ricotta in the stuffing mix. I might play around with this the next time I make it…… The ingredients below are for two so you would need to adjust it accordingly, depending upon how many people you are cooking for.
2 chicken breasts (cooked and diced)
2 large peppers
200g fresh spinach (you could use frozen, but defrost it)
3 – 4 spring onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tspn nutmeg
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Cut the tops from the peppers, deseed and remove any ribbing. Place the peppers upright in an oven dish.
- Heat the oil on a medium heat in a frying pan and add the garlic and spring onions. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for a further 2 minutes until the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat and season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and tomato sauce and mix well.
- Spoon half of the mixture into the peppers, then top with a couple of tablespoons of cheese.
- Add the remaining mixture and sprinkle the top with the rest of the cheese.
- Cover the oven dish with silver foil and bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!