This healthy grilled tandoori chicken skewers recipe tastes just like the original Indian street food. Cilantro, lemon, and lots of spices create a tasty marinade that tastes great on summer barbecues or can be baked in the oven.
Tandoori chicken skewers can be served as an appetizer or as a main course, and they are often accompanied by a dipping sauce such as mint chutney or raita. They are a delicious and flavorful way to enjoy the classic flavors of tandoori chicken in a fun and portable format.
The Chief Taster loved these and declared that they were restaurant worthy. It's another chicken recipe on the request list for that daily question of "what would you like for dinner?".
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
WHAT IS TANDOORI CHICKEN?
Tandoori chicken is a popular Indian dish that is made by marinating chicken in a mixture of yogurt and spices, and then cooking it in a tandoor oven, which is a traditional Indian clay oven. The marinade typically includes ingredients such as ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chili powder, which give the chicken its signature flavor and vibrant color.
- Chicken - we use chicken breasts but chicken thighs can be used too,
- Greek yogurt - natural yogurt can be used.
- The spices - a mix of spices that you can use for any tandoori recipe.
RED COLOURING IN CHICKEN TANDOORI
When you order chicken tandoori in a restaurant it will often be red in color, unlike ours. This comes from the use of a spice called Kashmiri red chili powder.
However, some restaurants or home cooks may add red food coloring to make the dish appear more vibrant and attractive. It's worth noting that adding food coloring is not necessary and the dish can still taste delicious without it.
CHICKEN THIGH OR BREAST FOR SKEWERS?
Both chicken thigh and chicken breast can be used for skewers, and the choice of which to use may depend on personal preference and cooking method. The Chief taster is not too keen on chicken thighs but I might try it with them, not tell him and see if he finds a difference.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs are often preferred by many because they have a slightly higher fat content and tend to stay more moist and flavorful when grilled or cooked on skewers. They also have a slightly stronger flavor and more tender texture, making them a good choice for marinating.
Chicken breast, on the other hand, is leaner and has a milder flavor than chicken thigh. It is also less forgiving when it comes to cooking time, as it can become dry and tough if overcooked. However, chicken breast is a good option for those who are watching their fat intake or prefer a milder flavor.
HOW TO MAKE TANDOORI CHICKEN SKEWERS
Mix the yogurt marinade in a bowl
Add the chicken pieces and marinade
Place chicken on skewers and cook
Serve and enjoy
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN TANDOORI SKEWERS
These chicken skewers can be enjoyed by themselves with a side of minted yogurt sauce. For a heartier dish, serve them with a side of keto garlic naan bread, a cucumber salad and coconut cauliflower rice.
MORE KETO CHICKEN DISHES TO MAKE
The Chief Taster is a big fan of chicken, and these are a few of his favorite recipes you might want to try.
Tandoori Chicken Skewers
- 3 chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Mix the Marinade
- Add all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the chicken chunks and stir into the marinade to cover all the chunks. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Marinade for at least 2 hours.
- If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before use to prevent burning.
Chicken Skewers in Oven
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers, leaving a little space between each piece.
- Place the skewers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, flipping the skewers halfway through cooking
Chicken Skewers on the BBQ
- Preheat your BBQ to medium-high heat.
- Place the skewers on the grill, turning occasionally until chicken is fully cooked and slightly charred, about 10-12 minutes.
Chicken Skewers in the Air Fryer
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes as per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Place the chicken skewers in the air fryer basket, making sure they're not touching.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes at 200C/400F degrees, flipping the skewers halfway through cooking.
- Check that the chicken is cooked through and slightly charred before removing from the air fryer
Leave a Reply