A stuffed pumpkin recipe that is full of cheese, spinach and walnuts. A great starter to share or a main between two people.
You could vary the ingredients and spices in this dish to suit yourself, but if I say so myself, this makes an amazing vegetarian dish that is perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Or just during pumpkin season. It is a lovely centre piece….you could bake a large one to share or smaller individual ones. The Chief Taster enjoyed it, despite his misgivings about pumpkin dishes, and is now "sleeping it off". That's a good sign in this house.
I used cheese, garlic, spinach and walnuts to stuff the pumpkin and it was delicious. You could throw in meat and other veggies if you wanted..use the cheese as a base and add to it. For a vegan version, I would suggest using a vegan cream as a base (cashew nut cream) and add veggies away! I just loved this…and will be playing around with this again! I used small pumpkins so we could have one each. A large one (the size of pumpkins that you would carve for Halloween) would be great for about 4 of you, but try to get small individual ones..it's cuter. When you eat it, use a spoon to dig into the cooked pumpkin on the inside and mix it up with the cheesey, garlickly filling…just delicious!
Cheese Stuffed Pumpkin
- 2 Small Pumpkin
- 4 cloves Garlic chopped
- 3 Spring onions
- 8 ounces Emmental cheese grated
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup Walnuts chopped
- 1 cup Spinach fresh
- ⅓ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ teaspoon Chilli flakes optional
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper (or baking dish)
- Cut the lid off the pumpkins and place to the side.
- Scope out the seeds and stringy flesh.
- Season the inside of the pumpkins with salt, pepper and the nutmeg.
- Mix the cheese, garlic, spinach and walnuts in a bowl.
- Place the filling into the pumpkins and pack down. Push as much as you can in.
- Pour the cream over the topping, slowly, to let the cream work its way down.
- Sprinkle the chilli flakes on top of the filling.
- Place the pumpkin lids on top and bake for 2 hours.
- Eat and enjoy!