Love pizza? Try this keto pizza bowl. Made with keto friendly ingredients, you can enjoy the flavours of your favourite pizza without the carbs.
This crustless pizza bowl is ready in 15 minutes and makes a great quick and easy dinner or lunch. No crust means that this is also gluten-free.
Making a pizza without a base can help reduce the carbohydrates. This is a dish that can be tweaked to fit your macros.
These easy pizza bowls were my go to dish when the Chief Taster was away on a training trip and I had a pizza craving. I didn't want to make a large pizza but wanted the tastes of one with minimum fuss. I found these very filling too and spent a few days making different versions.
WHAT IS A KETO PIZZA BOWL?
This easy keto dish is simply a pizza without the base and baked in an oven proof bowl. Layers of low carb tomato sauce, your favourite low carb toppings and mozzarella cheese are placed in layers then baked for 10 minutes. It will become a family favourite after the first bowl!
The net carbs for a keto pizza bowl will vary depending upon the filling used. The recipe below has just 5g net carbs, 24g protein and 32g fat per bowl.
The ingredients for a keto pizza bowl are everything you would make a pizza without the base.
- Mozzarella cheese
- Marinara or pizza sauce - we use our homemade sugar free marinara sauce
- Sausage meat - (any type of ground meat can be used) this is optional but does yield a hearty pizza.
- Italian seasoning - or a mix of oregano and basil
- Olive oil - this is to cook the sausage meat (or other raw ingredients such as sliced mushrooms).
See recipe card for quantities.
HOW TO MAKE KETO PIZZA BOWLS
This simple crustless pizza recipe is as simple as layering sauce, toppings and mozzarella. If you are not using any meat or mushrooms that need to be cooked before hand, this recipe is even quicker.
We cooked the Italian sausage and mushroom in a pan before using them in the pizza bow
Spoon a layer of marinara or pizza sauce in the bottom of two dishes.
Add half the layer of the pizza topping on top of the marinara sauce.
Layer half the shredded mozzarella and then repeat the layers. Bake or microwave.
The great thing about this pizza recipe is that you can use a variety of any low carb pizza toppings.
A few suggestions are:
- Add cooked cauliflower rice to the base for a cauliflower pizza in a bowl.
- Chopped Ham.
- Cooked ground beef
- Black Olives
- Jalapeno slices
- Small pepperoni slices (for small ramekins).
- Sliced mushrooms (cooked)
- Chopped red bell peppers.
- Try adding different cheese to the mozzarella such as Parmesan cheese or crumbled Feta cheese?
WHAT DISH CAN BE USED ?
This recipe uses two 4.5 inch ramekins but you could also use a larger dish for a pizza dish to share. The larger dish we used in the photograph below was 7 inches.
I will also add that the larger dish used a lot more fillings than the recipe below for a heartier dish. The more toppings you use it helps to have a larger bowl.
A large pizza bowl would make a great dish to share and the more space, the more toppings! It could also work as a very hearty dip for Game day!
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVERS
I wish I could confidently let you know what to do with leftovers, but these pizza bowls didn't see the end of the day. However, I would advise that any leftovers are kept in the refrigerator and covered. To reheat, pop in the oven for 3-5 minutes or in the microwave.
This dish is best enjoyed on the day made. Although cold pizza the next day is not to be sniffed at in any form!
These can also be made in the microwave. Cook for 2 minutes and place under the grill to get a more golden colour to the cheese.
Leftover vegetables are great for this dish. Throw everything in the bowl with the sauce and cheese layers.
MORE LOW CARB PIZZA RECIPES
Enjoy these other low carb pizza recipes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Pizza Bowl
- 1 cup marinara sauce use a low carb or homemade sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Toppings (optional. Vary to your own taste)
- ½ cup sausage
- 2 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
Make the Topping
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan on a medium heat.
- Cook the sausage meat and mushrooms for 5 minutes until golden.
Assemble the Pizza Bowl
- Spoon half of the marinara sauce into the bottom of the two ramekin dishes.
- Add half the toppings and sprinkle half of the Italian seasoning on top.
- Scatter half the mozzarella cheese and repeat the layers.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Eat whilst still warm.