Enjoy a savoury zucchini low carb galette for a summer lunch or dinner. Serve with a side salad or steamed vegetables for a colourful low carb and gluten free meal.
A melt in your mouth low carb pastry is used to make this low carb galette but could be used to make a quiche crust too. The simple filling of zucchini slices with goats cheese and Parmesan cheese are full of flavour. Enjoy these galettes warm or cold.
Although I made two decent sized galettes which we each devoured, they could and should be shared. We were hungry and the share word was not entertained, nor part of the marriage vows. I will add that I was full after eating mine and was glad I was wearing elasticated shorts. You could make this recipe into large galette and serve as slices too.
Is a galette a pie?
Although both are made with pastry, a galette has its own unique style. The appearance is more rustic with the pastry sides pushed up over the filling and it is baked without a dish, on a baking tray. Traditionally a galette has a fruit filling but I have baked a savoury galette recipe with zucchini for a keto vegetarian option.
How to make a keto zucchini galette
Low carb galette tips
If you don’t have xanthan gum, this can be replaced with ground flaxseed. Use one teaspoon of ground flaxseed mixed with two teaspoons of water to make a gel. This will help bind the pastry.
Use other cheese – replace goats cheese with cream cheese and use grated Gouda in place of the Parmesan cheese.
Seasoning – I did sprinkle some sumac on my zucchini which is entirely optional. You could use onion powder, garlic powder or dried basil to season the zucchini slices.
The galettes can be delicate to move to the baking tray so you may want to assemble them directly on a parchment covered baking tray. Or assemble them on a square of parchment paper and carefully move that over to your baking tray.
These can be made ahead and kept in the fridge before baking.
Use a mixture of yellow and green zucchinis for extra colour and flavour.
Other low carb savoury recipes
Keto Zucchini Galette
- 2 small zucchini
- 4 oz goats cheese soft and spreadable
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium egg
Make the Pastry
- Place the almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, butter, cream cheese, egg and salt in a food processor. Blend until the mixture becomes a soft dough.
- Remove and wrap the dough in a piece of parchment paper.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut in half.
- Roll out each piece of the dough in between two layers of parchment paper in a circular shape. The dough should be between ½ to 1 cm thick.
- Thinly slice the zucchini width ways and season the slices with the salt and pepper.
- Gently spread half of the goats cheese over the centre of the pastry.
- Sprinkle on one third of the Parmesan cheese over the goats cheese.
- Add a layer of the sliced zucchini.
- Spread the remaining goats cheese over the zucchini layer, then sprinkle with another third of the Parmesan cheese.
- Add another layer of zucchini slices and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Gently bring up the edges of the pastry circles over the zucchini slices so it holds them in and almost forms a rough crust.
- Place the galettes on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake at 200C/400F degrees for 25-35 minutes until golden.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.