A healthier stuffed crust pizza using my current favourite low carb and gluten-free coconut flour dough.
Ahhh, stuffed crust pizza. Is there anything else that could sum up the unhealthily years when we would make that Thursday/Friday/Saturday night phone call to some 17-year-old at the other end of the phone and make an illicit and unhealthy transaction? In our youth, many a times! So many toppings, so much stuffed crust!
The types of stuffed crust pizza now amazes me. Some with little sausages! I feel like I have gained 5lb after watching USA tv adverts!
The Chief Taster used to love a stuffed crust pizza before I pushed us to a healthier way of life and only purchased low carb flours. So, this recipe is to show him that you can take a walk on the wild side, yet enjoy it with minimum guilt! Behold the joy of coconut flour and psyllium husk powder. With added cheese!
Although I used a pie dish for this you could bake this on a tray and just roll the edges around the mozzarella pieces. The trick is to roll the edges of the pizza dough around the cheese to cover it. Add all of your chosen toppings without the pizza shame! It’s a happy day to eat pizza!
Simple, tasty, yet the feeling of guilt is slightly there…
- 1/2 cup (56g) coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons (28g) butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon (9g) psyllium husk powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 6 inch long strips of Mozzarella
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and combine well.
- Add the butter and eggs and mix thoroughly until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Boil the water and add to the mixture a bit at a time, stirring thoroughly until you have a dough.
- Line a pie dish with parchment paper.
- Place the dough in the dish and press or roll out the dough so that the edges are reaching the rim of the dish. (Alternatively roll out the dough in a circle using parchment paper, then place into the dish).
- Place the strips of mozzarella around the edges and fold the dough over them, making sure that they are sealed.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, place your sauce and toppings of choice and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Nutritional Info - Per Slice (no topping)
- 97 Calories, 6g Fat, 3g Protein, 7g Carbs, 4g Fibre, 3g Net Carbs