Indulge in a bowl of strawberry margarita ice cream on a hot day and enjoy the slight kick of tequila. This low carb ice cream recipe has a rating of adults only!
The flavour combination of strawberries and lime are delicious. Add cream and tequila and you have me purring like my big fat ginger cat! It’s the next best thing to a frozen strawberry margarita.
Although I do have an ice cream maker I wanted to make another version of my margarita ice cream which does not require an ice cream maker. A rare sighting of fresh strawberries in supermarket meant that a strawberry margarita ice cream recipe for on the cards.
How to make margarita ice cream
The cream used for this low carb strawberry margarita ice cream recipe was whipping cream, also known as heavy cream. I have used double cream for a similar recipe but that’s a cream normally sold in Europe. The cream available here in St Lucia are limited to what can be exported so it was whipping cream for me.
I was tempted to leave the ice cream in the freezer over night and not stir it to see if it set as I wanted but since strawberries are a rare sight here, I could not risk the experiment. So, I took the ice cream mixture out of the freezer every hour to give it a stir, then put it back in the freezer. This ensures that the icy crystals are distributed. It took a few hours, but I left it over night for a firmer texture.
We devoured this ice cream like we would a frozen strawberry margarita. Fast, furious and received a brain freeze. No regrets, no shame and we’d do it all again once I see strawberries again!
Other Ice Cream Recipes you may enjoy
Strawberry Margarita Ice Cream
- 16 oz Strawberries
- 1 Lime Juice & Zest
- 2 tablespoons Orange extract
- ½ cup Erythritol (powdered) I used my grinder to powder this
- 2 cups Heavy/Whipping cream
- 1 oz Tequila
- Pour the lime juice, orange extract and tequila into a bowl and add the powdered erthyritol. Mix well until blended.
- Add the cream and lime zest and whip until firm.
- Place the strawberries in a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Gently fold the strawberries into the cream mixture and stir until combined.
- Spoon into an airtight container and put in the freezer.
- Take the container out every hour to stir. This distributes the icy crystals of the ice cream better.
- Repeat until you have the ice cream consistency you want. (It might take over night)
- Scoop, eat and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.