A chocolate cherry ice cream recipe that is smooth and velvety with delicious bites of cherry. Low carb and gluten free this makes for a great bowl of ice cream on a summer’s day.
This sugar free ice cream has a creamy texture as it is made with an egg yolk custard base with heavy cream and coconut milk. A rich chocolate ice cream with chopped dark cherries is a delicious dessert. Add sugar free chocolate chips and you have a low carb black forest ice cream!
Cherries and chocolate are a flavor combination that I find delicious. Almost as much as raspberries and chocolate. Let’s face it, what doesn’t go well with chocolate? I’ve recently seen a recipe for chocolate dipped bacon!
CARBS IN A CHERRY
Cherries may not feature in the top 5 low carb fruits but they can still be enjoyed in a low carb recipe if you manage the quantities.
A cup of cherries without the stones is about 19g net carbs. However one cherry is 1g net carbohydrates each so a few spread out in a dish is manageable on a low carb diet.
ICE CREAM INGREDIENTS
This is basically a low carb chocolate ice cream recipe made in an ice cream maker with the cherries (and optional chocolate chips)added in after churning.
- Cream - We use heavy/whipping cream.
- Coconut milk - Full fat coconut milk from a tin should be used. It has a higher fat content so if you swap it with almond milk the texture may not be as creamy.
- Egg Yolks - The eggs should at room temperature so take them out of the fridge at least an hour before use.
- Allulose - This can be substituted with any powdered low carb sweetener but we are currently happy with the results that allulose gives for ice cream.
- Cocoa powder - Use unsweetened.
- Cherries - Ripe or defrosted cherries with the stones removed. Cut them in half or quarters.
- Chocolate Chips - This is entirely optional but use sugar free dark chocolate chips (Lily's are a good brand) or a low carb chocolate bar cut into small pieces.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CHOCOLATE CHERRY ICE CREAM
The recipe for this chocolate ice cream is one of my favourites the texture is smooth, yet rich without being too sickly. Although I made this chocolate cherry ice cream recipe in my ice cream maker you could make a no churn version of this. It will take a long longer but the key to any no churn recipe is to stir the forming ice crystals regularly. Set a timer every 30 to 40 minutes to stir.
When using an ice cream machine, ensure that you chill the canister overnight before making the ice cream.
Wet ingredients whisked together.
Unsweetened cocoa is whisked into the cream mixture.
Whisk the chocolate cream mixture on a medium heat until thick.
Churn in an ice cream maker.
The addition of the cherries and sugar-free chocolate chips are added to the ice cream mixture after it has been churned and ready for the freezer. We don't want to break the ice cream maker!
You could vary this keto cherry ice cream and change it into a low carb Cherry Garcia ice cream. Omit the cocoa powder and add about a tablespoon of vanilla extract. Process ½ cup of cherries in a blender until smooth and add to the ice cream mixture. You could also add a low carb cherry sauce if available in your area.
Store this keto cherry ice cream in an air tight container in the freezer.. It should last a couple of months but in all honesty, homemade ice cream is best served freshly made.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This can be made as a no churn ice cream by placing the ice cream into an air tight container and into the freezer. Take the container out every 30 minutes to give the ice cream a stir to ensure even distribution of ice crystals.
This can be common to low carb ice creams but this one kept it's creaminess for a week (I can attest to longer than that as we ate it all within a week!). A custard base ice cream helps with the creaminess but if you are unsure, add a shot of vodka to the churning stage to help prevent water crystals forming.
Don't waste the egg whites after separating the eggs for the yolks. You could make an egg white omlette or use them in our coconut flour flat bread recipe.
MORE KETO ICE CREAM RECIPES
This post was originally posted in June 2017. The photos and content have been updated but the recipe remains the same.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream
- 2 cups Cream heavy/whipping
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 3 large Egg yolks
- ½ cup Allulose or other low carb sweetener
- ½ cup Cocoa powder unsweetened
- 10 Cherries, halved or quartered pitted (fresh or defrosted)
- ¼ cup Chocolate chips (sugar free) (optional)
- Pour the cream and coconut milk in a saucepan on a medium heat. Do not let it boil but heat it for about 3-5 minutes.
- As the cream is heating, whisk the eggs and allulose together.
- Remove the cream from the heat and gently pour into the egg mixture. Whisk until combined the mixture is twice the volume and light in colour.
- Add the cocoa powder to the cream and stir thoroughly.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan on a medium heat and whisk for 5 to 10 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken slightly.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Place in the refrigerator for faster cooling.
- Pour into the canister of an ice-cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Stir in the cherries (and chocolate chips if you are using them) and spoon the ice cream in an air tight container. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, place in the freezer. Remove every 30 minutes to stir to distribute the ice crystals until frozen consistency is obtained. Can take about 4-5 hours.
Hi Angela. Hope you are keeping safe! I made this ice cream with an ice cream maker and it is AMAZING! I used 3 tablespoons of vodka. Added some dark chocolate bits. So good! Any suggestions as to what I can do to make it stay creamy after I freeze it? It is just my husband and I, so 8 servings equals treats for 4 days....but the ice cream went sort of ice crystally. Mind you, I pulled it out 45 minutes early and stirred it but still not as creamy as when first made. Did I miss a step along the way? Thanks!
Good call on adding more chocolate bits! The vodka should have stopped it being too crystal so not sure what else can be done.
Can I use almond milk instead of coconut milk?
Although I have not tried it, I can't see why not as there are vegan ice creams recipes with almond milk.
Could I use more coconut milk, if I can't eat dairy cream?
Yes you could. It might be a bit more icy in texture though. Perhaps add an avocado for Aztec smooth texture.
Instead of cocoa powder, do you think you could add vanilla bean paste to make vanilla ice cream?
Ooh, why not!
I haven't yet brought out my icecream maker, but I was thinking I need to make some. It was 30 degrees C here yesterday! Cherries and chocolate go so well together! How much vodka? I don't see it in the recipe.
I add about 2-3 tablespoons of vodka. 30 is pretty close to us! Definitely time for ice cream weather!