A low carb strawberry cream roll that makes a delicious summer treat. Vanilla sponge, fresh strawberries and cream. What’s not to love about that!
This strawberry cream roll recipe was made twice purely because I didn’t care for the first set of photos. I am very glad I did as the second attempt was so good that the Chief Taster had to battle me for a piece. Normally he has the sweet tooth and I’ll just have a slice then walk away. He will then be in and out of the fridge all night. This time, it looked as if the cake would not make it to the next morning only because I ravaged the cake like it was the last one available.
The first time I smothered the outside of the sponge with cream, not to cover any cracks I hasten to add, but I fancied a cream indulgent cake. The second time, I looked at it and the baker’s instinct in me said no to the smother as it would be prettier without it. So, I just piped a little bit of cream on top, added some strawberries for decoration, then stood back and admired my work.
There is a photo with a cat toy that sneaked into the background when I was taking photos of the strawberry cream roll. I left it in to amuse myself. Can you spot it? Makes a change from cat fur. There’s many photos that I look at in detail to see a cat hair in the background. It’s a constant battle with animal hair and I often feel like Cinderella as I am sweeping up the floor every morning.
Strawberry Cream Roll
This low carb and gluten free sponge recipe does not require any butter which makes it a great option for anyone with dairy allergies. However, smothering it with fresh cream would not work but you could substitute the fresh cream with whipped coconut cream.
Nothing quite says summer like strawberries and cream and in cake form they are even more delicious! Have an afternoon treat, sit back and enjoy a slice of this delicious strawberry cream roll. Then battle with your partner over the last slice!
OTHER LOW CARB STRAWBERRY DESSERTS TO TRY:
Strawberry Cream Roll
- ½ cup whipped cream (heavy/whipping cream)
- 4 tablespoons Strawberry chia jam
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Grease and line a rectangle baking tin with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, vanilla and erythritol together.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gently fold in the egg whites and combine thoroughly.
- Pour into the baking tin and smooth evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes until firm and golden.
- Remove from the oven and place on another piece of parchment paper.
- Using the parchment paper on the top (will be the one used for baking), gently roll up the cake.
- Watch your hands and don’t burn yourself! Best to let it cool slightly before rolling. This is to keep the sponge in the correct shape before adding the filling.
- Allow to cool.
- Gently unroll the cake, remove the top layer of parchment paper and spread the strawberry jam evenly over the sponge.
- Spread the cream on top of the strawberry jam.
- Using the outer layer of parchment paper roll up the sponge again.
- Eat any excess filling that squeezed out!
- Slice, eat and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.