An easy strawberry chia jam that is quick to make and a healthier option. The chia seeds thicken to give almost a “jam” texture and the berry fruit being naturally sweet.
With only 3 ingredients this strawberry chia jam could not be any easier to make. We be jammin’ in my Caribbean kitchen! I just need to work on a rum jam and the Caribbean experience is complete!
The beauty of using chia seeds when making a batch of strawberry chia jam is that the swollen chia seeds look like strawberry seeds, blending nicely with the fruit. The Chief Taster accuses me of “tricking him” when I make a batch of this as he munches on the chia seeds thinking that they are strawberry seeds. However much he tries to resist a healthier option he’s not going to win in my kitchen! Sorry, husband!
I love jam and come from “jam” country back in the UK where you will find Tiptree jams back in Essex. I always smile when I see their jars wherever we are in the world. Tiptree is a small, pretty village in the county where I was born. Although their jams are amazing they are full of sugar. They do a mean fruit gin too! Loving jam does not have to be over when you are trying to avoid sugar and a chia jam is a pretty good alternative.
Although this is a simple chia jam you could add other flavours with the strawberries such as a dash of balsamic vinegar, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla or orange zest.
The strawberry chia jam will keep for at least 2 weeks in the fridge, ready to slather on bread, cakes or with a pancake. Or with some whipped coconut cream and chopped nuts. Any time is jam time and if it is sugar free than more for everyone!
- 2 cups strawberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons erythritol or sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Place the strawberries in a saucepan and add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Gently bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. You may mash the berries with a fork if you want a smoother jam.
- Stir in the erythritol and remove from the heat.
- Add the chia seeds, stir thoroughly and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chia jam to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.