Spiced chocolate chip muffins are a great way to enjoy a dark winter's evening in front of the fire. Or perk up that dreary morning at work! Or something to munch as you are laying on the sofa, thinking of all the things you should be doing, as you reach for the television controls. These low carb and gluten free muffins are delicious warm with the melted chocolate chips combined with the warming spices.
Whilst I was perusing through my muffin recipes it hit me that there was not a single chocolate muffin recipe. Although I have a few chocolate cupcake recipes, there was nothing in the muffin arena. I hung my head with shame and thought about punishing myself. So, to redeem this glaring recipe error I decided to create these spiced chocolate chip muffins. The spices were a delicious addition to the chocolate as I wanted to make a winter muffin. The chocolate chips were an added bonus as who doesn't enjoy a warm piece of chocolate in a muffin!
Spiced Chocolate Chip Muffins
As I still don't have my trusty and beloved electric hand mixer yet I had to use a normal whisk. Like some kind of kitchen animal. So, I was a bit worried that the mixture would not be light and fluffy enough. There was no need to worry as they were so soft and light. I didn't even beat the mixture with any anger or frustration since I was having a chilled day. Just a gentle whisking did the job. I laugh back at the days of baking with normal flour and gaining an extra bicep muscle as you have to whisk the eggs and butter into a frenzy. Low carb and gluten free baking is just so easy. Everyone should do it! Then again, it might drive the price of my beloved coconut flour up, so sssshhh, keep this our secret!
Out of the oven, warm, with the tempting smell of the spice, they are utterly delicious. If you have any left, store them in the fridge. The chocolate chips will harden but the muffins are just as delicious. A perfect breakfast!
- ¼ cup (34g) coconut flour
- ¼ cup (56g) butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup erythritol (56g) (or other sugar substitute)
- 1/3 cup (33g) cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 3 tablespoon coconut milk
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Whisk the melted butter, coconut milk, eggs and erythritol together.
- Add the coconut flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and spices. Blend well.
- Add the water and whisk until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin cases in a muffin tin.
- Press the chocolate chips into the muffin mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Makes 6 Muffins
- Nutritional Info per muffin : 215 Calories, 16g Fat, 5g Protein, 12g Total Carbs, 4g Fibre, 8g Net Carbs