A pumpkin gratin recipe with goats cheese makes a rich and delicious side dish. The sweetness of the pumpkin is balanced by the sharpness of the creamy goats cheese.
For those of you who miss a sweet potato casserole, this pumpkin gratin is a great low carb subsititute. It hits the sweet spot but without being too overpowering. It's an easy low carb side dish too which is an added bonus!
It is the season of the great pumpkin Charlie Brown! The two flavours of sweet pumpkin and creamy tangy goats cheese blends very well resulting in a gorgeous low carb, gluten free dish! You could have this as a main supper dish with a side salad (or by itself), or a side dish. I think this would be a great side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas as it has a rich, creamy and strong flavour. Go on, impress your friends/family/fellow Divas..whip up a dish of this!
HOW TO MAKE A PUMPKIN GRATIN
You could make this pumpkin gratin ahead and just bake it when you are ready to eat. Although I used goats cheese for this low carb side dish you could substitute it with a less powerful flavour creamy cheese such as Camembert or Brie. This side dish is simple as precooking the pumpkin by either boiling or steaming it. Layer the pumpkin in a casserole dish with the goats cheese like a lasagna then bake. It's a simple dish that you could add your own flourish to.
OTHER HOLIDAY SIDE DISHES TO TRY:
- Zucchini Gratin
- Chayote Gratin
- Turnip Au Gratin
- Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts Gratin
- Baked Cabbage Wedges
- Roasted Cauliflower in Walnut Pesto
Pumpkin Goats Cheese Gratin
- 450 g pumpkin
- 20 g butter
- 200 g firm goats cheese cut into slices
- 30 g Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Cut the skin from the pumpkin, remove the seeds and cut the flesh into even sized pieces. Cook in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until tender, then drain and mash with the butter.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper, then transfer half of the mixture to a shallow gratin dish. Top with the goats cheese and spoon the rest of the pumpkin on top, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Eat and enjoy!