Chayote squash is pan fried and then baked in a low carb creamy sauce to make a delicious cheesy side dish. This keto chayote gratin is perfect served with a roast beef or ham dish.
The chayote makes a great potato replacement for a creamy gratin. I sliced the chayote into long strips, but you could cut them into thin scallops for a more traditional gratin looking dish.
Chayote gratin is a very popular side dish in the West Indies and uses a bechamel sauce. Here, I used a low carb cheese sauce made with cream and cheese and cooked it all in one pan without making the sauce separately. You could add bacon to this dish before baking for an extra layer of flavor.
Try a stuffed Chayote for another side dish too.
What is a Gratin?
Originally created in France, a gratin is traditional thinly sliced potatoes baked in a rich cheesy sauce. The vegetables are baked in a shallow dish and cooked until the top is golden. I've used chayote to keep the gratin low in carbs.
What Cheese To Use?
If you are a cheese lover, you can used any cheese that melts well. I used a strong English Cheddar cheese, but Gruyere is the cheese of choice for a gratin but Fontina or a strong Gouda work well. Add Parmesan for an extra strong cheese flavor.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CHAYOTE GRATIN
A visual guide on how to make a chayote gratin
GRATIN BAKING TIPS
- Ensure the chayote are cooked well as they can take a while to bake. It’s often best to precook them before making a gratin.
- Add chopped spring onions, diced ham or bacon for variety.
- If you want a crispy topping, sprinkle pork rinds or low carb breadcrumbs on top.
- If you can’t find chayote, zucchini makes a great replacement.
- Play around with herbs and spices with thyme, basil and nutmeg as a few that would enhance the flavour.
OTHER LOW CARB GRATIN DISHES TO TRY:
Brussel Sprouts & Walnut Gratin
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Chayote Gratin
- 4 Chayote
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup cream, heavy whipping
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Peel and cut chayote like a pear into quarters and core.
- Cut into long thin slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and gently fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chayote and fry for another further 5-8 minutes until the pieces are slightly golden.
- Add the cream and cheese, stir until the cheese has melted. Season with the salt & pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking dish and bake at 180C/350F degrees for 40 minutes.
Leave a Reply