These Keto Chicken Tacos with avocado do not disappoint. Cooked in a homemade taco seasoning, these juicy keto chicken tacos are perfect for a low carb dinner.
Seasoned chicken breast is served on a soft low carb tortilla, then topped with a creamy guacamole. A healthy high protein, low carb and gluten free meal that looks pretty too!
We are keeping to the original taco recipes with a soft tortilla, not a crunchy hard shell. Traditionally a taco is a soft corn tortilla that can be eaten in one hand. Corn tortillas are too high in carbs, so we use a low carb tortilla.
Chicken Taco Carbohydrates
Restaurant chicken tacos will be high in carbs due to the use of the corn or even wheat flour tortillas. By using a low carb tortilla, these kitchen tacos are just 3g net carbs a serving.
Keto Chicken Taco Ingredients
We used chicken breast but you could make this with rotisserie chicken, shredded chicken or even ground chicken. Perhaps chicken thighs would work too, once they are cooked, shred the meat to serve.
Homemade taco seasoning
Packet taco seasoning may be convenient but can be full of additives and fillers. Making your own seasoning is easy and it's great to have a jar to hand for taco recipes. A jar will last up to 3 months, if stored correctly too.
There are many different keto taco seasoning recipes so feel free to use your own. We used mine from my Keto Vegetarian site. It's not too hot but has a great blend of spices.
Low Carb Tortilla
The lucky ones out there can purchase ready made low carb tortillas from large stores. For some of us on a small island with limited shopping, we have to make our own (okay, with a beautiful view to take the pain of shopping away).
We used our low carb tortilla wraps recipe which has a mixture of 3 low carb flours and are very flexible. They look like a whole wheat tortilla but you could use our almond flour tortilla recipe for a paler version (and without flaxseed and psyllium husk powder).
For the avocado topping we used guacamole but to be totally honest I had intended to use avocado salsa. It was half way through making the guacamole I realized my mistake as we don't have any tomatillos. The difference between guacamole and avocado salsa is that the salsa uses tomatillos. Either is fine for the topping on these chicken tacos.
How to make keto chicken tacos
This is a simple chicken recipe with the chicken pieces being marinaded before cooking. The lime helps to tenderize the chicken too.
- Slice the chicken breast. It make it quicker and easier to cook. As well as plating on the tortilla.
- Cover with the lime juice and taco seasoning. Marinade for at least an hour in the fridge.
- Cook on a griddle pan or BBQ grill. Air fryer might work too!
- Add to the low carb tortilla and spoon the avocado over the chicken.
Although the Chief Taster devoured these with happy noises you could serve them with additional toppings such as shredded cheese, sour-cream or with a side of Mexican cauliflower rice.
You could also omit the low carb tortillas and serve the spiced chicken on lettuce wraps for an even low carb dish.
More low carb Mexican inspired recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Chicken Tacos with Avocado
- 2 chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Taco seasoning mix homemade preferable
Low Carb Tortilla
- 4 low carb tortillas homemade or store bought
- ½ cup guacamole or avocado salsa
- 2 lime wedges optional
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded red cabbage optional
Prepare the Chicken
- Slice the chicken breasts into strips.
- In a sealable container, add the sliced chicken, then cover with the lime and salt. Sprinkle the homemade taco seasoning and toss the chicken pieces to cover.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to marinade.
Cook the Chicken
- Heat a griddle pan or skillet on a medium heat and lightly spray with oil.
- Place the chicken strips on the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes on each side until the chicken is cooked through and slightly golden.
- Place the chicken strips evenly on the 4 tortillas.
- Top the chicken with the guacamole or avocado salsa.
- Serve with lime wedges and garnish with slice red cabbage or chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply