This creamy keto zucchini noodle mac & cheese is made with zucchini noodles to replace the pasta and is a quick and easy gluten free dish too. With only 4g net carbs, this is a great comfort dish.
A delicious comfort food, this healthy mac and cheese is as easy as a cauliflower mac and cheese. There are many low carb versions of mac and cheese using cauliflower, it was time to try a recipe with zucchini.
In the Caribbean, mac and cheese is a very popular side dish but is often made with spaghetti in place of tiny macaroni pasta. It is cooked in a pie form and when cut, makes a hearty side dish. The joy of the Caribbean is that lasagna or mac and cheese are often served as a side dish rather than a main.
With a nod to my time in the Caribbean I decide to make the zucchini noodles baked in a casserole form. However, you could make the dish without baking it but stir fry the zucchini noodles first, then add them to the cheese sauce. Either way its a delicious keto zucchini noodle mac & cheese recipe.
HOW TO MAKE KETO ZUCCHINI MAC & CHEESE
- Salt the zucchini noodles well to remove the water. Let them sit whilst you make the cheese sauce
- You could grate the zucchini instead of spiralizing it.
- Add other strong cheeses that melt well such as Fontina or Gouda.
- Other vegetable noodles, spaghetti squash or turnip noodles.
- Top with bacon pieces or pork rinds before baking for an extra crumbly topping.
OTHER ZUCCHINI RECIPES TO ENJOY
Baked Zucchini Mac & Cheese
- 2 zucchini large
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup cream, heavy
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Spiralize the zucchini and place in a colander over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let whilst you make the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter, cream cheese and cream in a large pan on a low heat.
- Add the Cheddar & mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Stir gently until the sauce is smooth.
- Use paper towels to squeeze the water out of the zucchini
- Add the zucchini to the sauce and gently mix it.
- Remove the zucchini mixture and pour into a baking dish.
- Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180C/350F degrees until the top is golden.
Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.