This easy zucchini recipe is a perfect low carb Spring or Summer dish. Zucchini is stuffed with lemon and ricotta, baked and sprinkled with cheese.
If you want a light and tasty baked zucchini boat this is the recipe for you. Either serve as a light lunch or a delightful appetiser.
This zucchini recipe is an old one from the archives in 2012 that needed updating as the original photos were shameful. This time I changed the recipe by cooking the scooped zucchini first which was a lot better. I also baked the zucchini boats on a thin layer of low carb tomato sauce. Although entirely optional it added more flavour and looked pretty on the plate too.
I used a combination of yellow and green zucchinis. I find the yellow ones more sweeter than the green ones. The Chief Taster has requested that if I bake this again to only use the yellow zucchini as he has a sweet tooth. S
Stuffing a Zucchini
Other Zucchini Recipes
Baked Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini
- 2 zucchini
- ½ cup ricotta
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons basil, fresh chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ cup tomato sauce low carb-sugar free
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise
- Using a small spoon scoop out the zucchini flesh, leaving a small ridge to make the zucchini boat
- Chop the scooped zucchini into small pieces
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently saute the chopped zucchini for 5 minutes until cooked
- Mix the ricotta, Parmesan, lemon zest and basil in a bowl. Season
- Add the cooked zucchini and mix well.
- Spoon the ricotta mixture into the zucchini shells.
- Slather the tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking dish (if using the tomato sauce. If not, grease it with butter)
- Place the zucchini boats in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the zucchini boats
- Bake at 200C/400F degrees for 35-40 minutes until golden.