This quick keto strawberry trifle is a simple recipe and can be served in a glass for individual portions. A low carb sponge cake is layered with a low carb strawberry jam, sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
I used a mug cake sponge for this trifle just as I did with my quick tiramisu recipe. Strictly speaking a traditional trifle uses a jelly (that’s the British term for jelly) for a layer but I’ve used a strawberry chia sauce instead. I wanted a quick sugar free trifle with minimum fuss.
Calling this a trifle is a bit of a stretch as I have not used a custard. I await my call from the trifle police! Trifle is a British dessert with layers of sponge fingers, fruit, jelly and custard. It is topped with whipped cream and sometimes sugar sprinkles are used to decorate. As a child I remember boxes of trifle mix which you just needed to add water, sugar and milk. Grandmothers would drown the sponge finger layers in sherry, then “sleep the trifle off” later that evening. Although that might have just been my grandparents…
How to Make a Quick Keto Strawberry Trifle
There will be some cooling of ingredients before you can assemble the trifle. I make the layers in this order:
- Strawberry Chia Jam - If you already have a batch of this to hand, even better!
- Coconut Flour Mug Cake - This needs to be cool before assembling.
- Whip the Cream - The easiest part of the recipe! You could use coconut cream instead of heavy/whipping cream.
You can enjoy this strawberry trifle once it is assembled but if you chill it for at least an hour, it gives the sponge time to develop the flavor of the strawberry chia jam.
If you don’t have fresh strawberries to hand, other berries such as raspberry or blackberries would be just as delicious. Add a dash of rum to the sponge layer for the full trifle effect too!
I assembled mine in a large glass and found it a hearty dessert that can happily serve 2. We both ate half of ours and returned to it the next day. Trifle for breakfast is a great start to the day!
I use a ramekin dish the same size as my serving glass for neatness when placing the sponge discs in when assembling.
When assembling, spread the ingredients out evenly for a pretty look.
Almond flour can be substituted for coconut flour in the sponge cake. Use 4 tablespoons and add a dash of water if the cake batter is too thick.
MORE BERRY KETO DESSERT RECIPES TO ENJOY
Quick Keto Strawberry Trifle
- 1/2 cup whipping/heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon erythritol powdered preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 strawberries sliced
Make the Chia Jam
- Chop the strawberries into small pieces and place in a saucepan with the water, erythritol and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the chia seeds and simmer for 5-7 minutes until it thickens
- Set aside to cool.
Make the Mug Cake
- Mix the melted butter, egg, coconut flour, erythritol, coconut milk, baking powder and vanilla. Mix well until smooth
- Pour half the mixture into a 3 inch ramekin (or ramekin that fits your serving dish) and the remaining mixture into another same sized ramekin.
- Place in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave, gently ease out of the ramekins and cut in half lengthways so you have disc shapes. Set aside to cool.
- Whip the cream until you have stiff peaks.
- Add the erythritol and vanilla.
- Add the erythritol and vanilla.
- Place sliced strawberries over the jam, covering the sponge.
- Spoon a tablespoon or two of the whipped cream over the strawberries.
- Repeat until you finish on a layer of cream.
- Decorate with strawberries or grated chocolate (optional).