This chocolate covered strawberries cake is a moist coconut flour cake, layered with strawberries and cream, then topped with a chocolate ganache and plump strawberries dipped in chocolate. Best of all it's low carb and gluten free!
If you are looking for a low carb birthday cake or a showstopper of a cake, then look no further! This chocolate coconut flour cake is as delicious as it looks!
How to make a chocolate covered strawberries cake
Baked with coconut flour this cake is fairly easy to make. I used just one 8-inch spring form cake tin and cut the sponge in half, purely to keep the carbs low. For a real show stopper of a cake, double up the sponge cake mixture and bake it in two cake tins.
There are 5 steps to make this tasty cake:
- Bake the chocolate cake and cool.
- Mix the strawberries and cream filling.
- Melt the chocolate for both the ganache and chocolate dipped strawberries.
- Make the ganache for the cake topping.
- Dip the strawberries into the chocolate and place on top of the cake.
Can I use almond flour?
If you are not a fan of coconut flour, this recipe can be made with my chocolate almond flour cake. Just add the filling, chocolate ganache and strawberries for another delicious low carb dessert!
If the cake mixture appear too stiff after folding the egg whites in, add ¼ cup water.
For extra strawberry flavour, add sliced strawberries to the cake layer before the cream.
More keto desserts to enjoy
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information
Chocolate Covered Strawberries Cake
- 2 strawberries chopped
- 1 cup cream whipping/heavy
- 2 tablespoons monk fruit sweetener or other low carb sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Topping - Ganache & Strawberries
- ⅓ cup cream heavy/whipping
- 8 oz chocolate chips sugar free or high cocoa solids
- 8 large strawberries
Make the Chocolate Cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/375F degrees.
- Grease and line a 8inch springform cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the butter until soft
- Add the sweetener and whisk together.
- Whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, almond milk and salt. Whisk together.
- In another small bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the cake mixture.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the cake tin and bake for 35-40minutes until the centre of the cake is firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin.
- Remove the cake from the tin and place on a cooling rack.
Make the Filling
- In a small bowl whisk the cream, vanilla and sweetener until stiff. Add the chopped strawberries and gently whisk together.
Chocolate Ganache Topping
- Heat the chocolate chips in a Bain Marie over a pan of simmering water.
- Pour ¼ of the melted chocolate into a bowl and stir in the cream. The mixture should be thick to pour on the top of the cake. If it’s too thick, stir in a couple more tablespoons of cream.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Wash the strawberries and dry them
- Hold the strawberries by the stems and dip them into the melted chocolate, rolling them around to cover them evenly.
- Either place them on waxed or parchment paper or directly on the cake as per the assemble instructions below.
- Cut the chocolate cake sponge in half.
- Place the bottom half of the cake on a serving plate.
- Spoon the cream over the cake half evenly.
- Place the top cake half on the cream and gently press down.
- Spoon the chocolate ganache on the top of the cake and spread it evenly.
- Place the chocolate covered strawberries on top of the ganache topping.
- Store the cake in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving for the chocolate to firm up.