This quick keto tiramisu delivers an easy dessert using a low carb mug cake, soaked in coffee and rum in between layers of a creamy mascarpone cheese mixture. The sponge is made with coconut flour making it gluten free too.
If you need a creamy dessert in a hurry, this easy 10-minute tiramisu can be in your dessert bowl with minimum effort. Bake the coconut flour sponge cake in 2 minutes, as it cools, whip up the creamy filling, assemble and voila! Tiramisu dessert ready to go!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Making a keto tiramisu mug cake
I prefer coconut flour for my sweet mug cakes simply for my personal preference, but you could use almond flour too. Add another tablespoon of almond flour and reduce the coconut milk, or even replace it with almond milk and you have a quick and easy cake.
The cake mixture is split into two ramekins to ensure an even sponge to be sliced and assembled for a tiramisu. I had tried cooking it in one ramekin dish, but it rose unevenly and I was not happy with it. Especially when it came to slicing the mug cake as I wanted even layers, as you would expect in tiramisu. It tasted good but did not look appetizing.
I love Tiramisu as a dessert and have also enjoyed it in cupcake and cheesecake form. There must be more I can do with it! However, the Chief Taster tries to rain on my parade with "it's just cake and cream". What's not to love about that!? It has rum and coffee too. Almost a Caribbean delight! Mind you, he prefers a plain sponge cake which I look at with disgust. Takes a merging of opposites to make a good marriage!
Try to use ramekins the same size as the serving glass or dish you will be using for ease of assembly. I used a glass tumbler which was great for photos but ended up being a large dessert a bit too much for one. That’s why I have this listed as 2 servings. If you use a large tumbler, it’s a romantic dish to share!
You could cut the mug cake sponge up into fingers, just as you would use in a traditional tiramisu and that might fit another serving dish better.
For the coffee, you want a strong one such as expresso, but you may want to add low carb sweetener to it to relieve some of the bitterness. I have used an instant coffee without sweetening and won’t do that again! Or I should have added more rum for a balance.
Although I have recommended you chill the recipe for at least 30 minutes, it can be enjoyed as soon as you assemble it. As we both can testify as part of research purposes! I couldn’t wait once it was assembled so had to dig in with a spoon!
I use a couple of tablespoons of rum, but you can add more or omit it depending upon your personal taste. As I live on an island with great rum, it would be rude for me not to use it!
OTHER LOW CARB TIRAMISU DESSERTS TO LOVE
Quick Tiramisu Recipe
LOW CARB SPONGE CAKE
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted melted
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon erythritol or other low carb sweetener
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese softened
- ½ cup cream, heavy
- 2 tablespoons erythritol ground, powered
Coffee/Rum Dip for Sponge
- 2 tablespoons coffee, strong
- 2 tablespoons rum dark
- cocoa for dusting optional
MAKE THE CAKE
- Mix the melted butter, egg, coconut flour, erythritol, coconut milk, baking powder and vanilla. Mix well until smooth.
- Pour half the mixture into a 3 inch ramekin (or ramekin that fits your serving dish) and the remaining mixture into another same sized ramekin.
- Place in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave, gently ease out of the ramekin and cut in half lengthways. Set aside.
MAKE THE FILLING
- Place all the filling ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined.
Make the sponge dip
- In a shallow bowl, mix the coffee and rum.
- Dip the sponge slices into the coffee mixture and place one of the slices into your serving glass.
- Spoon a large tablespoon or two of the cream mixture. Smooth the cream out evenly.
- Repeat with the layers of cake dipped in coffee mixture and spooned cream until you are left with a cream topping.
- Lightly dust the topping with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Chill for 30 minutes
Can you use something to substitute the Rum? I don’t drink any alcohol.
It can be omitted or use rum extract (which I think does not contain any alcohol).
My husband started his second round with the keto diet and this time his is absolutely thrilled with this new desserts Im making for him; he couldnt believe this was within the range of the -allowed food- 😂😉
That's lovely to hear! It's a great dessert!
I have wanted to make this quick tiramisu for a while now, and decided to try it today in advance of the holidays. One thing I should have figured out but is not clear in the recipe is that you list the coffee and rum as filling ingredients, which are all to be whisked together. Then it says to dip the sponge in the coffee, etc. So I combined all in the filling. I whipped it up and used it anyway, but you might want to clarify that in the directions. I cant wait to taste it - the sponges are cooling as we speak!
Thanks! Hope you enjoyed it
I did and will make it again. Soon!
Happy you enjoyed it!
Hi, want to ask about sponge , should I use full power for 2 min or reduce power to 50%?
Once I cook mug cake in microwave and got it completely burnt
It will depend upon your microwave. To be safe use a reduced power.
I made this last night because I was craving tiramisu. SO GOOD 😋
Glad you enjoyed it!
I haven't tried your recipes yet, but they look amazing. I can't wait to try them.
Thank you. I hope you enjoy them!
What a wonderful tasty dessert, so delicious 😋 I appreciate it so much that you made it without nuts ❤️ Thank you.
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
wow....bet you could use this sponge cake for strawberry shortcakes !
A great idea!