This cottage cheese Buffalo chicken dip is a great low carb party or Game day dip. Creamy cottage cheese meets zesty Buffalo chicken for a flavor-packed, protein-rich delight.
All of the flavors of classic Buffalo chicken in a creamy, cheesy dip. Tender, spicy chicken meets the velvety goodness of cottage cheese, creating a delicious blend of flavors and textures. Served hot and bubbling it will be a hit at any gathering.
This is an easy dip to make that can be made quickly with items you may already have in the fridge. It was a huge hit with the Chief Taster and I've used it as a side sauce for a dinners too. Try it with roasted broccoli for a side dish!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Protein in Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese is a popular choice for people looking to increase their protein intake while keeping their fat and calorie intake relatively low. The exact amount of protein in cottage cheese can vary depending on the brand and type of cottage cheese you choose. On average, a typical 1-cup (approximately 240 grams) serving of low-fat cottage cheese contains about 27 grams of protein.
What is Buffalo chicken
Buffalo chicken refers to a style of preparing chicken that is typically characterized by its spicy and tangy flavor. Buffalo chicken is commonly associated with Buffalo, New York, where it is believed to have originated. The classic Buffalo chicken dish is Buffalo chicken wings, also known simply as "Buffalo wings." The distinctive flavor of Buffalo chicken is made from hot sauce (such as Frank's RedHot) and melted butter.
Grab a few simple ingredients and you are ready to make a tasty dip!
- Shredded cooked chicken - this is a great way to use leftover rotisserie or roasted chicken.
- Cheddar cheese - for a spicier dish, substitute or mix Pepper Jack cheese.
- Cottage cheese - plain cottage cheese. If you don't like cottage cheese, swap it for cream cheese.
- Sour cream - Greek yogurt can be substituted.
- Spring onions - also known as green onions. Reserve some for decorating when serving.
- Garlic - feel free to increase the amount of garlic cloves.
- Buffalo sauce - prepare this before making the dip recipe. It's simply Frank's Red Hot sauce and butter.
How to make Buffalo chicken dip with cottage cheese
An effortless low carb hot dish recipe that is so easy to make.
Add all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Spoon into a baking dish.
Bake until golden and bubbling on top.
Get creative by adding extra ingredients like blue cheese crumbles, diced jalapeños, or bacon bits for extra flavor and texture.
Adjust the amount of hot sauce to your preferred level of spiciness. You can also mix in some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
Once the dip is ready, garnish it with chopped green onions, chives, or parsley for a fresh touch.
After making or serving Buffalo chicken dip, any leftovers or unused portions should be promptly refrigerated. The dip should not be left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours to avoid bacterial growth.
Transfer the Buffalo chicken dip to an airtight container or cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil before refrigerating. Buffalo chicken dip can typically be safely stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. When you're ready to enjoy the leftover dip, you can reheat it in the microwave or oven until it's hot and bubbly. Ensure it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) to make it safe to eat.
If you have a large batch or want to store the dip for an extended period, you can freeze it. Transfer the cooled Buffalo chicken dip to an airtight container suitable for freezing. Leave some space at the top to allow for expansion. Frozen Buffalo chicken dip can be kept for up to 2-3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating.
What to serve with Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo chicken dip is a flavorful and creamy appetizer that pairs well with a variety of dippers to balance its spicy and tangy flavors. Celery sticks, cucumber slices and bell pepper slices are a healthy vegetable option. Scoop it up with low carb tortillas and crackers.
Cottage Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 cup cottage cheese, plain
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- ½ cup Buffalo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup spring onions, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking dish. We use a 9 x 13 sized baking dish. You could top the dip with grated cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Decorate with chopped spring onions, bacon bits or blue cheese crumbles.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.