This keto air fried chicken recipe uses a whey protein isolate powder coating for a crispy chicken tender. Cajun seasoning is added for extra taste and this is served with a side of keto fries for a hearty lunch.
I was trying for a spicy version of a KFC recipe to serve as a keto copycat version of chicken and fries. Although I have been making air fried chicken tenders with an almond flour coating, I tried a whey protein powder coating.
The whey protein powder coating was a hit with the Chief Taster. It gives the chicken tenders a crunchy coating and the Cajun spices gave the right amount of spice for him.
How to make crunchy fried keto chicken in an air fryer
This is a quick and simple recipe. You could prepare this ahead and keep the chicken tenders in a sealed container, in the fridge, until you are ready to fire up the air fryer.
All you need to make this keto air fryer chicken recipe is:
- Chicken breasts - I used skinless and boneless chicken breasts. You could keep the skin on for extra crispiness but the Chief Taste does not care for chicken skin. So it's left out for this recipe.
- Egg - dipping the chicken strips into the beaten egg helps to coat the chicken strips.
- Whey Protein Isolate Powder - Ensure that they protein powder is unflavoured and whey protein isolate. Other whey protein powders may have additives and sugar added, so check the labels.
- Cajun seasoning - This can be changed to your taste.
More low carb chicken appetizers
Keto Air Fried Chicken Tenders
- 2 chicken breasts skinless & boneless
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 cup whey protein powder unflavoured
- 2 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg.
- Place the protein powder and Cajun seasoning in a ziplock bag and shake to mix.
- In a medium shallow bowl mix the whey protein powder with the cajun spice mix.
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips
- Dip each chicken strip into the beaten egg and place on a plate
- Place a chicken strip into the ziplock bag and shake until the strip is completely covered.
- Remove the chicken strip, place on a plate and repeat.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil
- Place the chicken strips into the air fryer basket in asingle layer and spray with oil.
- Cook at 180C/350 for 15- 20 minutes, flipping the chicken breasts over half way.
- Serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.